West African Spiny Eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fruitbat

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just picked up this little fellow at my favorite LFS. It is one of the Mastacembelid 'Eels' (Spiny Eels) from West Africa, though I'm not even sure of the genus yet, let alone the species. Regardless, it is quite active so far and looks pretty good.

-Joe

Munk01.jpg

fishyrican....

This one is a youngster....only about 9 inches long....but it will grow to a maximum size somewhere in the neighborhood of 36 inches (depending on species).

-Joe

Great looking fish Joe. Do they dig in the gravel?

Thanks for all the comments.

BrianNY....yes....they do dig in the gravel, just like their Asian counterparts. The gravel in this temporary grow-out tank is a bit too big for the eel to burrow into so it has taken up residence beneath the driftwood you can see behind it in the picture. It sits in there with its head sticking out like a Moray Eel. I has already eaten the two feeder guppies that were still surviving in that tank from when I had my African Featherfin Knife in the tank (he's now in a 100 gallon).

I'm going to try him out with frozen bloodworms tonight. I saw him eat some at the LFS so I'm hoping he'll keep up the good behavior.

-Joe

Back
Top Bottom