Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to fadetoblack06
Right by the gills it has green in it almost the coloring of a green terror. I know it's not a green terror but just to so it's known what color is there.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyAnglerFishKeeper
That's a sunfish or "bream" (brim) as we call them, but not a "bluegill." Looks like a redear to me. A bluegill is usually darker and well, blue. Not all blue, but it will have some blue and often orange on it. - however, coming from a farm type environment, who knows? It's def. a sunfish.
The bluegill is from the sunfish family, my vote is still with the bluegill though. I guess the best thing to do is wait it out and see which colors develop

Here is a pic of a baby bluegill
Attachment 106993

Old 07-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #13
come get me tang police!

It is hard to ID juvenile sunfish for sure. It could also be a juvenile green sunfish, or a mix of both since they hybridize readily.

People call most sunfish 'bream' or shellcrackers around here also, it seems the nickname came from the european bream.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

definitely a sunfish (or panfish as we call them locally). I was thinking a green as Jeta suggested, but he beat me to it LOL. At any rate, if you're expecting to use it as a feeder you should probably do it soon or forgo it, as they don't make good feeders when they get bigger.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Idk what I want to do with them. They've evaded my puffer so far and my eels. I take it they grow fast and will eat anything too.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetoblack06
Idk what I want to do with them. They've evaded my puffer so far and my eels. I take it they grow fast and will eat anything too.
You could always take it back to where you got it?
Old 07-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's no fun though, the fun part is figuring out what exactly they are. I've come to the conclusion they're blue gills.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:54 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Looks like a baby sunfish...Bluegill seems to be the consensus. I used wild caught feral/introduced Pumpkin Seed Sunfish for feeders for Oscars and other large pred. fish long ago.(they where dumped into a local lake by a breeder trying to introduce them as aquarium fish in the 1970s..they bred so fast he had no more room. I have kept the adults they are easy and quite striking in color...similar to a Jack Dempsey)
The "ear tag" on the gill cover is the first color a sunfish seems to get, those pistures show it clearly. I used to tie fishing flies to look like baby sunfish, these I used too catch small mouth bass with. The sunfish and bass are both invasive here but most don`t know that and consider them sport. The bass are even regulated now. Turtles, bullfrogs and Snake Heads @ Bullheads are also around now. The lake in question has all of them along with hatchery Rainbow and Cuthroat trout...and a very few wild Cutthroat still. I have kept the sunfish turtles and bass all in the same tank. (none where ever turned loose, I`ve work as a fishing guide, I know better) The Sunfish here are "Pumpkin Seeds" but very similar.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com