What are these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fadetoblack06

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I picked up feeder minnows and had this surprise with it but I don't know exactly what they are.

Attachments

• image-2689860201.jpg
    image-2689860201.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 180
  • image-185643761.jpg
    image-185643761.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 158
Heres two more shots. They stood still for a second.

Attachments

• image-3268822191.jpg
    image-3268822191.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 130
  • image-2200533782.jpg
    image-2200533782.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 129
I'm no expert but I just picked up a juvenile green terror. Looks alot like that guy there. My guess is it's some kind of south American cichlid

I think it looks like a sunfish. Of coarse I live in Hawaii so I wouldn't know much about fish of the continental U.S.

my guess would also be juvenile blue gill or sunfish...They get big and will eat pretty much anything...ask me how I know

How do you know Sally pu? Was that dinner last night? I think they are too. There's two of them in my tank with the minnow feeders I picked up.

That's a sunfish or "bream" (brim) as we call them, but not a "bluegill." Looks like a redear to me. A bluegill is usually darker and well, blue. Not all blue, but it will have some blue and often orange on it. - however, coming from a farm type environment, who knows? It's def. a sunfish.

Right by the gills it has green in it almost the coloring of a green terror. I know it's not a green terror but just to so it's known what color is there.

FlyAnglerFishKeeper said:
That's a sunfish or "bream" (brim) as we call them, but not a "bluegill." Looks like a redear to me. A bluegill is usually darker and well, blue. Not all blue, but it will have some blue and often orange on it. - however, coming from a farm type environment, who knows? It's def. a sunfish.

The bluegill is from the sunfish family, my vote is still with the bluegill though. I guess the best thing to do is wait it out and see which colors develop

Here is a pic of a baby bluegill
View attachment 106993

It is hard to ID juvenile sunfish for sure. It could also be a juvenile green sunfish, or a mix of both since they hybridize readily.

GREEN%20SUNFISH,%20juvenile.jpg

People call most sunfish 'bream' or shellcrackers around here also, it seems the nickname came from the european bream.

Last edited:
definitely a sunfish (or panfish as we call them locally). I was thinking a green as Jeta suggested, but he beat me to it LOL. At any rate, if you're expecting to use it as a feeder you should probably do it soon or forgo it, as they don't make good feeders when they get bigger.

Idk what I want to do with them. They've evaded my puffer so far and my eels. I take it they grow fast and will eat anything too.

fadetoblack06 said:
Idk what I want to do with them. They've evaded my puffer so far and my eels. I take it they grow fast and will eat anything too.

You could always take it back to where you got it?

That's no fun though, the fun part is figuring out what exactly they are. I've come to the conclusion they're blue gills.

Looks like a baby sunfish...Bluegill seems to be the consensus. I used wild caught feral/introduced Pumpkin Seed Sunfish for feeders for Oscars and other large pred. fish long ago.(they where dumped into a local lake by a breeder trying to introduce them as aquarium fish in the 1970s..they bred so fast he had no more room. I have kept the adults they are easy and quite striking in color...similar to a Jack Dempsey)
The "ear tag" on the gill cover is the first color a sunfish seems to get, those pistures show it clearly. I used to tie fishing flies to look like baby sunfish, these I used too catch small mouth bass with. The sunfish and bass are both invasive here but most don`t know that and consider them sport. The bass are even regulated now. Turtles, bullfrogs and Snake Heads @ Bullheads are also around now. The lake in question has all of them along with hatchery Rainbow and Cuthroat trout...and a very few wild Cutthroat still. I have kept the sunfish turtles and bass all in the same tank. (none where ever turned loose, I`ve work as a fishing guide, I know better) The Sunfish here are "Pumpkin Seeds" but very similar.

Back
Top Bottom