Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2011, 11:30 PM   #11

What are the other two dimensions? A four foot tank could be anything from 33 to 200 gallons.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

im told 200 gallons but i sure my friend said 210 not sure

Old 03-09-2011, 09:25 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

I currently keep two Jack Dempseys and a managuense with my oscar, also a pleco, and have had no problems. You have the typical "posturing", but no real violence. It all comes down to the personality of the individual fish. IMO, it is an ongoing science/social experiment keeping an aquarium.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:28 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

thank you shawnMMckenna im not sure what else he wants lol.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:28 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh, and as far as feeder fish go, I will never feed them to my fish again. My Oscar is currently succumbing to HITH/LLE. I have done everything in my power to cure him, but I have lost the battle. I religously fed him feeder goldfish, despite the warnings that it could lead to that disease. Lesson learned. I will be taking him to a large pond near my home this weekend to live out the rest of his days in freedom. And a feeder fish will never grace my tanks again...
Old 03-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtropical View Post
thank you shawnMMckenna im not sure what else he wants lol.
Basically I would stick with New World cichlids of the same approximate size. There are many choices. I have also kept a clown knife with my Oscar and they lived in complete peace..... Good luck, and have fun!
Old 03-09-2011, 09:34 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

i will keep in mind what you said about the feeder fish im sure my mum and dad feed them flake food when i was little im going back a fair few years! sorry to hear that. Thank you for all your help i will have a chat with him later about it im trying to get him to come online and have a look at the forum.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:50 AM   #18

In oscars it is HLLE, not HITH, and it is usually caused by poor water and food quality. It is not a pathogen like HITH and other illnesses. Although feeder fish can contribute to poor nutrition, they are a symptom of other issues, not the lone cause. A high quality pellet is the best staple for any diet. Enough water changes to keep the nitrate concentration under 20ppm before a water change willl keep the water quality high.

If you have multiple cichlid together it is best to raise them together, this is the best way to help make sure they get along.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

ah right i see. Glad you guys are here to help. I think he is looking at 2 oscars at the most he wants the white and orange ones. I like the tiger ones thats what we had as kids.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727 View Post
In oscars it is HLLE, not HITH, and it is usually caused by poor water and food quality. It is not a pathogen like HITH and other illnesses. Although feeder fish can contribute to poor nutrition, they are a symptom of other issues, not the lone cause. A high quality pellet is the best staple for any diet. Enough water changes to keep the nitrate concentration under 20ppm before a water change willl keep the water quality high.

If you have multiple cichlid together it is best to raise them together, this is the best way to help make sure they get along.

HLLE....my mistake. My water quality has always been on the money. Feeder fish is what I attribute his condition to. That was all he ate for quite awhile. Like I said, lesson learned. Also some of my research found a link between activated carbon and HLLE in Oscars, so I switched to purigen from carbon. I know some people prefer no chemical filtration, but I do. The purigen helps to keep the parameters in check. That and small weekly PWC's.

Tags
oscar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com