Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak
yeah it's a tiger oscar - and well colored too.

Originally Posted by fishyperson3010 View Post
You could put the arowana in the 125g and leave the Oscar in the 75g
that sounds like the best way to go. if the oscar doesn't get eaten in the next few weeks it will grow very fast. it's only a matter of time before he wants the tank all for himself.

i once had a 10" silver arowana and 5" tiger oscar in a 75gal. the arowana was always covered in cuts from jumping into the lid trying to ecape from the oscar. i was worried that the lights would get broken so i re-homed the arowana. he was not suited to a 75 gal tank anyway. but that's just my experience, it may work out ok for other people

Customer: I'd like to get some fish for my wife?

Shop Owner: Sorry sir we don’t do trades.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:44 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict
I have to ask...

Originally Posted by fadetoblack06 View Post
Picked up this little guy at the store and was wondering if you could help me out and let me know what it is.

Having bred and raised over 100,000+ oscars, I can say without fear of contradiction that this is a baby oscar. That being said, I have to ask... How could you buy a fish for your tank that you don't even know what it is? There is no upside to doing this and the downsides (multiple) could be disasterous! This sounds like a failure of both the hobbyist and the store you purchased the fish from.
#1 Arawanas eat small fish. If this fish was small enough to fit in the Aro's mouth, he should never have been purchased for the same tank.
#2 Oscars can grow quite large (my largest was 22") and become very territorial as they get bigger.
#3 While I disagree with the poster who said that Oscars are the meanest of the cichlids, I agree with the poster about their cleanliness. They're not at all clean. Not a good combination for an Arowana.

People: do a little research before adding any fish you know nothing about before you buy it. If it means making a second trip to the store, that's better than killing a new fish or throwing your existing tank out of whack. There is very little out there that is not available on a regular basis. If you miss this one, you'll get another chance another time.
(This is timeless advice from a very experienced tropical fish hobbyist! )

Old 02-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via Yahoo to fadetoblack06
I agree it wasn't the smartest thing to do but lessen learned. And will be separated shortly.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
That's no tiger Oscar. But I'm not sure what it is. But it not from the cichlid family that the oscars from..
Old 02-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via Yahoo to fadetoblack06
My new fish just became a lunch time snack for my arrowana today it's sad to lose him but cool to see the arrowana eat.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict
All the more reason to do the research first. Poor little guy. He was a very handsome fish that certainly didn't deserve that ending.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
Old 02-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist
Oh, well mistakes are made. Don't worry I won't attack your personal decisions like others on this site. Good luck on the 125, I just got one myself. You can never judge what Amy fish will do IMO. All you cam do is try.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry you lost your new oscar. Chalk it up to a lesson learned.

This thread has run its course. Closed.

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com