What should be my new fish or fishes!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pau1parker

Aquarium Advice Regular
Looking at getting new fish or fishes , been focusing on getting my tank and stand looking nice , finished that, not iv been told by many people i need to focus on my fish in the tank, what will go well with these?
I have ..
1 albino cory
1 upside down catfish
4 rainbow barbs
1 clown loach ( other one died)
1 red tail black shark
And 1 sailfin plec

Tanks arround 35 gal

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cories like to school don't they? Maybe get a couple more so your albino will have friends :).

Cories like to school don't they? Maybe get a couple more so your albino will have friends :).

Thats what i wanted to hear , i love cories haha , how many more would you say? Also i heard clown loaches shouldnt be on there own , is this true?

I hate to say it, but with a 35g you'll want to rehome the Clown Loach and the Sailfin Pleco before they get stunted. Those fish both get way too BIG for your tank.

An appropriate Pleco would be a BN ( Bristlenose/Bushynose). Or another small species.

If you like loaches, Sids aka Dwarf Chain Loaches are awesome !!
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+885+1587&pcatid=1587. They can be pushy, but they play.

Your tank needs more plants and more wood. Your fish need hiding spots and places to break line of sight.

You don't need this many plants, but the fish would like it.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420566336.191467.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420566349.556278.jpg

More Cories. Preferably the same kind. Build up the group to 6 or more if you have room. The more Cories you have the better behavior and the chance of babies goes up.

Ahh, what size tank do the sailfin plecos need? I love mine ! Its only tiny now , iv got more plants wood etc coming so should have enough when they do , so does get rid of the loach pleco and focus more on cories and maybe more barbs?

Red Tail Black Shark ? Will need a bigger tank as well. They get way more territorial with age/hormones and need a few caves/wood pile or areas. In long tanks like 55g they can set up main territory at one end. They'll guard that area and hopefully leave other fish alone.

For now ? Give him hiding places at either end.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+888+1172&pcatid=1172

Rainbow Barb ? Sorry haven't heard that common name. Do you know the Latin/scientific name ?

Are they Rosy Barbs ?
Can you post a pic.

Before adding new fish, I would evaluate current stock for long term needs. Consider rehoming at least the two giant fish ( they will be a foot or more with proper care ). The Loaches like to be in groups. You don't have room for 6 Clown Loaches.

Make your tank a more inviting space. I would plant both ends well. Leave center clear except for plants along the back wall.

Research before you buy new fish. I hate having to rehome fish I've raised and grown attached to, so now I buy fish that can live out their life easily in my size of tank.

You did a great job on the tank it's going to look awesome. Enjoy your fish.

Red Tail Black Shark ? Will need a bigger tank as well. They get way more territorial with age/hormones and need a few caves/wood pile or areas. In long tanks like 55g they can set up main territory at one end. They'll guard that area and hopefully leave other fish alone.

For now ? Give him hiding places at either end.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+888+1172&pcatid=1172

Rainbow Barb ? Sorry haven't heard that common name. Do you know the Latin/scientific name ?

Are they Rosy Barbs ?
Can you post a pic.

Before adding new fish, I would evaluate current stock for long term needs. Consider rehoming at least the two giant fish ( they will be a foot or more with proper care ). The Loaches like to be in groups. You don't have room for 6 Clown Loaches.

Make your tank a more inviting space. I would plant both ends well. Leave center clear except for plants along the back wall.

Research before you buy new fish. I hate having to rehome fish I've raised and grown attached to, so now I buy fish that can live out their life easily in my size of tank.

You did a great job on the tank it's going to look awesome. Enjoy your fish.

Right , the shark seems to leave the fish alone , ill keep an eye on him when i get the plants and hiding places in ,
TImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420569055.647867.jpg thats the best pic i could get of one , i could be wrong with the name!
Im going to research more from now on! Dont want this happening again haha

Ahh, what size tank do the sailfin plecos need? I love mine ! Its only tiny now , iv got more plants wood etc coming so should have enough when they do , so does get rid of the loach pleco and focus more on cories and maybe more barbs?

Sailfins hit 18". http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+837+1021&pcatid=1021 LA recommends 125g minimum.
Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps is Latin name.
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile172.html

Yes, I would get a nice group of Cories. Same species ideally.

Depending on the Barb, many are nippy, so no slow fish with long fins.

A few Barbs are peaceful. But bigger groups tend to stay more peaceful anyway as it spreads aggression.

Edit: saw the pic. Odessa Barb is my guess.

Last edited:
Right , the shark seems to leave the fish alone , ill keep an eye on him when i get the plants and hiding places in ,
TView attachment 260134 thats the best pic i could get of one , i could be wrong with the name!
Im going to research more from now on! Dont want this happening again haha

Odessa Barbs ? Nice fish :)
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+880+1009&pcatid=1009

Just try to make sure to get the less colorful females as well as the males. Otherwise you'll never see the males display the really pretty colors that they can have. It used to drive me nuts at the store when everybody would buy the male Cherry barbs and leave the females.

Defiantly going to have to sort a new home for the plec out then ! :( ahhh thats what they are !
Funny you should say that when i bought them the fella in the shop said he couldnt sell them unless they where 2 males and 2 females and iv always wondered why 2 were not as colourful as the rest other 2 ? my late new years resolution is to read up on fish before i buy them !

How do I ask a question on here for help? I have a fish with a large mass but he acts fine and eats daily? Help? I'm new! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422776145.286230.jpg

Back
Top Bottom