What should I use as my focus fish - 10gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

venymae

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a ten gallon aquarium, currently stocked with 4 (soon to be 6, I lost some to an ich outbreak) neon tetras. I have a HOB filter rated at 125gph with a floss bio filter and a polyfiber filter, and heater. I am looking for two more "focus" fish to put into my tank. I love love the common goldfish with the long fins (feeder fish -lol:love:) and had this same set up with two smaller goldfish for about 3 years, with my goldies never really getting more than 2 inches long. However, because of all the nay-saying about goldfish in small tanks I"m nervous about getting them again. So, is there any fish that you'd recommend instead? I'm looking for a slow lazy fish, bright colored, and graceful. Maybe that does something interesting? (I loved watching my goldfish gravel comb and the fact that they were not spazy). I also have a two year old, so maybe something that would be good for him?

Goldfish is out of the picture for a 10 gal. They get pretty big. In my 10 gal I have my male betta. He is wonderfully colored and hangs near the top. He also swims through my moneyworts! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390368721.898783.jpg

Betta's can also get along with many other fish! Just not other bettas.

If your not too found on Betta fish then why not try a molly fish? White, Black, orange, you can throw in 1-3 aswell! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390368829.079941.jpg

I was thinking of mollies, simply because my son saw them at petsmart and told me, "mama, cow fish!". Dalmatian mollies. lol Not my favorite, but he seems to like them. :)

+1 on the community Betta fish!! They're not mean and evil like they're said to be. They typically are fine in a community setup.

Pass on the Molly's, they're pooping machines. Look into gourami's! They'd make a great center piece fish for a 10 gallon.

+1 on the community Betta fish!! They're not mean and evil like they're said to be. They typically are fine in a community setup.
Erm. Well, bettas are probably one of my least favorite fish...long story.

Any other ideas? Something with a personality like a goldfish & bright colored (but size appropriate)?

As I said, check out gourami's. All different types!

There's not many fish that are compatible with a 10 gallon.

You could do a couple guppies and endlers. They have great colors.

I have a ten gallon aquarium, currently stocked with 4 (soon to be 6, I lost some to an ich outbreak) neon tetras. I have a HOB filter rated at 125gph with a floss bio filter and a polyfiber filter, and heater. I am looking for two more "focus" fish to put into my tank. I love love the common goldfish with the long fins (feeder fish -lol:love:) and had this same set up with two smaller goldfish for about 3 years, with my goldies never really getting more than 2 inches long. However, because of all the nay-saying about goldfish in small tanks I"m nervous about getting them again. So, is there any fish that you'd recommend instead? I'm looking for a slow lazy fish, bright colored, and graceful. Maybe that does something interesting? (I loved watching my goldfish gravel comb and the fact that they were not spazy). I also have a two year old, so maybe something that would be good for him?

Any small colorful killyfish would be great

Bettas and neon tetras aren't compatible as far as temperature is concerned. Bettas like it warmer than the tetras. How about a Dwarf gourami instead?

p-89811-gourami.jpg

+1 on the guppies or endlers. They come in beautiful colors and are entertaining to watch.

Glad you aren't considering Goldies. As a cold water fish, they are not compatible with tetras. Moreover, they need much larger accommodations.

I would most defiantly stay away from goldies. I would get a dwarf gourami if I was you! Or maybe a trio of male guppies. Make sure they're all male otherwise they'll breed like crazy...

Well everybody, I'd thought I'd update you on what fish we chose. My son fell in love with the dalmatian mollies he saw in the lfs "cow fish" as he calls them. Not wanting mollies, we settled for platies. So we are currently waiting on a special order of dalmatian platies from our lfs. One male and two females. aqadvice thinks this is a good stocking, so I'll go with it :) Can't wait till they come in!

Back
Top Bottom