Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2014, 01:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

What should I use as my focus fish - 10gal

I have a ten gallon aquarium, currently stocked with 4 (soon to be 6, I lost some to an ich outbreak) neon tetras. I have a HOB filter rated at 125gph with a floss bio filter and a polyfiber filter, and heater. I am looking for two more "focus" fish to put into my tank. I love love the common goldfish with the long fins (feeder fish -lol) and had this same set up with two smaller goldfish for about 3 years, with my goldies never really getting more than 2 inches long. However, because of all the nay-saying about goldfish in small tanks I"m nervous about getting them again. So, is there any fish that you'd recommend instead? I'm looking for a slow lazy fish, bright colored, and graceful. Maybe that does something interesting? (I loved watching my goldfish gravel comb and the fact that they were not spazy). I also have a two year old, so maybe something that would be good for him?

venymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Goldfish is out of the picture for a 10 gal. They get pretty big. In my 10 gal I have my male betta. He is wonderfully colored and hangs near the top. He also swims through my moneyworts! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390368721.898783.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	218143

Betta's can also get along with many other fish! Just not other bettas.

If your not too found on Betta fish then why not try a molly fish? White, Black, orange, you can throw in 1-3 aswell! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390368829.079941.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	218144

Old 01-22-2014, 01:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was thinking of mollies, simply because my son saw them at petsmart and told me, "mama, cow fish!". Dalmatian mollies. lol Not my favorite, but he seems to like them.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 on the community Betta fish!! They're not mean and evil like they're said to be. They typically are fine in a community setup.

Pass on the Molly's, they're pooping machines. Look into gourami's! They'd make a great center piece fish for a 10 gallon.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:21 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawk__ View Post
+1 on the community Betta fish!! They're not mean and evil like they're said to be. They typically are fine in a community setup.
Erm. Well, bettas are probably one of my least favorite fish...long story.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:24 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any other ideas? Something with a personality like a goldfish & bright colored (but size appropriate)?
Old 01-22-2014, 11:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

As I said, check out gourami's. All different types!

There's not many fish that are compatible with a 10 gallon.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could do a couple guppies and endlers. They have great colors.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:07 PM   #9

Location: i dont remember. let me take my arm out of the tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by venymae View Post
I have a ten gallon aquarium, currently stocked with 4 (soon to be 6, I lost some to an ich outbreak) neon tetras. I have a HOB filter rated at 125gph with a floss bio filter and a polyfiber filter, and heater. I am looking for two more "focus" fish to put into my tank. I love love the common goldfish with the long fins (feeder fish -lol) and had this same set up with two smaller goldfish for about 3 years, with my goldies never really getting more than 2 inches long. However, because of all the nay-saying about goldfish in small tanks I"m nervous about getting them again. So, is there any fish that you'd recommend instead? I'm looking for a slow lazy fish, bright colored, and graceful. Maybe that does something interesting? (I loved watching my goldfish gravel comb and the fact that they were not spazy). I also have a two year old, so maybe something that would be good for him?
Any small colorful killyfish would be great
Old 01-22-2014, 06:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Bettas and neon tetras aren't compatible as far as temperature is concerned. Bettas like it warmer than the tetras. How about a Dwarf gourami instead?

Tags
fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com