What size heater do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KristaButler

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 gallon and my heater maxed out is not keeping the temp high enough. I am looking to buy another. What wattage do you guys suggest?

May the force be with you.

What do you currently have ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tank Heater

I have a 55 gallon and my heater maxed out is not keeping the temp high enough. I am looking to buy another. What wattage do you guys suggest?

Hello Kris...

When purchasing a tank heater, I always figure on 5 watts per gallon of tank volume. A 55 G tank will need a heater or heaters that generate at least 275 watts of heat. A bit more than that won't hurt.

B

Thanks. I appreciate it!!! I've got the ick. Dang it. And I need to bump up the heat but my heater is maxed. lol. Time for a new one. ;)

Assuming you're currently running a 200 watt, simply add another one. In a tank that size having 2 lower wattage vs. One large wattage is better imo.

Would you still get another 200 watt, Or lower wattage. If I don't remove the old one.

I don't know what wattage it is. It's used, I think it said 175 volts.

It should help yes. Post a pic of your current heater? ?

what does that heater max out at? some only go so high, so you may want to keep that in mind when picking a new one.

lol at some of this advice your getting. You DO NOT need 400 watts of heater for a 55 gallon tank. A 200 watt eheim jager would be plenty, in fact the 200 watt is rated for tanks 79 gallons - 106 gallons.

If you bumping up the temp for Ick make sure you add extra oxygen into the water. You can also use aquarium salt to help you along

lol at some of this advice your getting. You DO NOT need 400 watts of heater for a 55 gallon tank. A 200 watt eheim jager would be plenty, in fact the 200 watt is rated for tanks 79 gallons - 106 gallons.

Dude.. i run a 150 in a 30, some rooms get colder that others.. there is nothing obscene about 2-200 way heaters in a 55.. the point here is to achieve 86°.. while a single hear may suffice in maintains a normal tropicals temp, it may not hit the ich kill zone.. like in said..2 smaller vs. One larger, if the one big guy sticks on its frying the tank..

exactly why I said 1 would do the trick, you are telling her to use 2 200 watt heaters which is WAYY overkill on a 55. 2 200 Watt eheim jager heaters can heat over 150 gallons of water

I have 6 tanks.. I run 1 250 Watt eheim jager on my 72 gallon tank

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3743+23726&pcatid=23726

read that link, the heaters are adjustable from 64-93 degrees. Just read my original post, I guess that came off a little mean, that wasn't my intention

Thanks for all the advice. Based off of the reviews, all heaters are not created equal. My heater is turned all the way up and my tank goes from 68-74. Since winter has hit, it just recently started hitting 68. It was more like 72-78 during summer. The heater is old. So maybe just replacing it with a newer one appropriate for the tank will do the trick. By the time the heater gets here my ick should be resolved, but turning up the temp was my driving force to get a new one. That's what I did with my old tanks.

Haha didn't know you kept fossils in your aquarium Krista:) if it were my tank... If the room gets below 65° I'd get 2-200 watters. If it stays pretty consistent than 2- 1 50's. My apt. Gets cold so I over do the wattage. Aqueon pros are great, l use the reg. Glass aqueons, been working flawlessly for a year, reasonably priced as well..

1 200 watt eheim Jager is all you need for a 55 gallon tank, you do not need 2 its overkill. You will be able to raise the temp to 93 if you should need to. 2 150 watt heaters on a 55 gallon tank is quite ridiculous to be honest, and is a waste of money on the heaters itself and electric expenses. Aqueon recommends 1 150 watt heater on a 55 gallon tank

the aqueon pro's are also good, all you need is 1 150 watt heater. Get the 200 watt if you want a little more juice. If you like wasting money on your electric bill than by all means get the 2 150's

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3743+23952&pcatid=23952 for aqueon size recomendations

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3743+23726&pcatid=23726 for eheim jager size recomendation

Haha didn't know you kept fossils in your aquarium Krista:) if it were my tank... If the room gets below 65° I'd get 2-200 watters. If it stays pretty consistent than 2- 1 50's. My apt. Gets cold so I over do the wattage. Aqueon pros are great, l use the reg. Glass aqueons, been working flawlessly for a year, reasonably priced as well..

Hey now. Lol. Remember newbie here. Haha!! I got it with the craigslist 55 gallon. Maybe a new one will do the trick then.

If you read the boxes on a good heater, there will be a chart telling you the size you need for however many gallons depending on how much of a temp increase you want. If the ambient temp is low and you want an 80 degree tank then you need a higher wattage heater than if the ambient temp is just a few degrees lower than what you want it at. So really having 2 heaters at 200 watts is not a big deal if she keeps her home cold. I know its very cold down there right now because my best friend is living in the same area.

If you read the boxes on a good heater, there will be a chart telling you the size you need for however many gallons depending on how much of a temp increase you want. If the ambient temp is low and you want an 80 degree tank then you need a higher wattage heater than if the ambient temp is just a few degrees lower than what you want it at. So really having 2 heaters at 200 watts is not a big deal if she keeps her home cold. I know its very cold down there right now because my best friend is living in the same area.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think I'm going to go with the aqueon pro 200 for now. Thanks for all of your opinions. I can always add a second one or put my old one in the tank with the new one, if needed.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420823948.433409.jpg

I just got the 100w version of the Aqueon Pro this week. So far, so good. I like that there is no glass present. My other two heaters have a shiny, reflective exterior. The black color is a nice change.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom