What to do???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Langerz

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just managed to get a great deal on a 300 US gallon tank.
Now i dont really know what to do with it, i only have guppies at the moment and they wont look very big in it

Any suggestions

S. American Cichlids perhaps? Maybe an awesome looking Arrowana. Or make it a Frontosa tank. Wow 300G, that's a big acquisition... Congrats!

Came with everything, for only 250 british pounds

you have many many options at your disposal for this tank. good luck and nice find!

Theres are too many options thats why im asking :). Yea it came with the stand, bubble machine, heater, filter, and more. Getting it delivered monday or tuesday will post a pic when it gets here.

Langerz said:
Theres are too many options thats why im asking :). Yea it came with the stand, bubble machine, heater, filter, and more. Getting it delivered monday or tuesday will post a pic when it gets here.

So what are the options you are considering for stocking? My friend had some pretty crazy peacock bass in his 300G. They were some veracious eaters! Too much for me but interesting to observe. Or how about some discus with schools of tetras? Or flowerhorns, green terrors, etc.?

Here's an idea....

So what are the options you are considering for stocking? My friend had some pretty crazy peacock bass in his 300G. They were some veracious eaters! Too much for me but interesting to observe. Or how about some discus with schools of tetras? Or flowerhorns, green terrors, etc.?

As much as I love Discus and Angelfish, you can't, can't beat a nicely planted tank with large schools of Tetras and Rasboras in it. With that sized aquarium, you could also go area specific and get schools of fish from a particular part of the world ( say Amazon, Asia, Australia, etc) and put a collection of assorted fish from that area that won't eat each other. Just an idea ;)

With that size, you could also make a dynamite Saltwater tank as I did in a pet store I worked in. We used large pieces of corals and rocks to make the tank look like the edge of a reef on one side (where all the reef dwellers stayed) and there was plenty of room for the schooling fish (such as tangs and Moorish Idols) which they enjoyed using. It was a nice comparison tank to see what fish used what type of cover to stay in.

Just some thoughts...:whistle:

Andy Sager said:
As much as I love Discus and Angelfish, you can't, can't beat a nicely planted tank with large schools of Tetras and Rasboras

Im with the whole schools of tiny fish thing, but not solely because they are going to look like mere specs in a tank so large. That's why I suggested discus (angels too are fine) with large schools of tiny fish. At least the larger fish won't look as dwarfed by a tank so immense.

SW is a whole other ball of wax. If he wants to go that route the options are of course totally different.

Still not sure what to do. Dont want to fill it up put fish in and then have too drain it again because i dont like. I am thinking about salt water, but would love loads of tetras in a well planted tanks. Any1 got something similar. Put some pics would be nice to see.

I have a 55 gallon that I am stocking with tetras for now and will then change to saltwater. Of course, tearing down a 55 has got to be way easier than tearing down a 300! I'm excited to see where you go with this. I hope people can post some pictures for you!

Still not sure what to do. Dont want to fill it up put fish in and then have too drain it again because i dont like. I am thinking about salt water, but would love loads of tetras in a well planted tanks. Any1 got something similar. Put some pics would be nice to see.
Go on line to Aquabids and check out all the fish. Maybe that will give you some ideas!!

Back
Top Bottom