What would you do with this tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Summer4infinity

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I picked up this 3/4" thick acrylic tank a few weeks ago with the intention of turning it into a California biotope cold saltwater tank, but I've got two other cold saltwater tanks running at the moment (as well as 2 planted freshwater, and a reef tank). I'm not really sure I want a 3rd chiller running. O.D. are 24" long x 12" x 12", but the total water volume will only be around 10-15 gallons. I'm looking for suggestions on what to do with it. I'm open to either saltwater or freshwater. Possibly a single species tank? Please share some of your ideas, no matter how plain or far out! Thanks!! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441514363.153986.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

You could go with a freshwater Asian Shrimp Aquarium, with a part way out of water plant growing operation as well.
Or a amphibian type set up.

Mantis tank, or maybe one of the smaller anglers would be a cool species tank

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You could go with a freshwater Asian Shrimp Aquarium, with a part way out of water plant growing operation as well.
Or a amphibian type set up.

I've thought about adding one of these to my 100 gallon planted tank. They look really cool, and would go with the current stock well, I think.
?

I'd say puffer fish. . . Brackish, figure eight.
Purely because these fish rock.

I've thought about puffers. Brackish is something I've never kept before. Liveaquaria is saying 30 gallon minimum for them? Are they really messy or something?

Mantis tank, or maybe one of the smaller anglers would be a cool species tank

Would love to do an angler tank but isn't it a pretty small tank for an angler? I was also thinking Mantis, it seems like it might be a good setup for one. Too small for a peacock mantis I'm guessing? I'm not very familiar with other any other mantis. I want this tank to be the occupants permanent/final residence, so it needs to be able to stay in this size tank comfortably.

Does anyone have any experience with a Japanese Redfin waspfish? I can't find any info on tank size for these guys, but it looks like they stay small. I'm wondering if one would be appropriate for a tank this size.

Did you ever do your mandarin tank?
I'll try to be brief but they are not as hard as everyone says or I (and Paul B ) are very lucky.
I have had pairs spawn since back in the 1980s and ATM have 2 in my highly neglected 75g and one my pretty neglected 120.
I run sumps with calurpae with no real attention to the mandarin.
Have always s had atleast 1 and most if not all last 4-8 years for me.
Was going to reply to that thread but NOW is your opportunity.
I will add that NONE of mine were ever captive bred or raised.
Maybe very lucky?

On the side 3/4 is enough for cold tank?
I read 1 inch.

Would love to do an angler tank but isn't it a pretty small tank for an angler? I was also thinking Mantis, it seems like it might be a good setup for one. Too small for a peacock mantis I'm guessing? I'm not very familiar with other any other mantis. I want this tank to be the occupants permanent/final residence, so it needs to be able to stay in this size tank comfortably.

A g. smithi (purple spot mantis) would work perfect in this size tank (imho a 5g is enough for them). And with the footprint of the tank I think you'd be ok with an angler too, assuming you'd be willing to do larger than normal weekly wcs (a skimmer would help too) since they're not real active just messy eaters. I think you'd be fine with the Redfin wasp

I'll try to be brief but they are not as hard as everyone says or I (and Paul B ) are very lucky.
I have had pairs spawn since back in the 1980s and ATM have 2 in my highly neglected 75g and one my pretty neglected 120.
Maybe very lucky?

I read 1 inch.

The amount of feeding a mandi would require would make keeping params in check really tough in this size tank, and that's assuming it eats prepared foods

Maybe very lucky?

I read 1 inch.

I did have a mandarin once. I somehow managed to buy the most shy and boring mandarin ever (even my husband commented on his lack of personality!) They sure are pretty fish though! I have a sailfin sculpin in each of my coldwater tanks that have huge personalities though, so it's hard for most other fish to live up to their standards.
Depending on your location (average temp and humidity) 3/4" thick acrylic can definitely work on a cold tank. My two cold tanks right now are kept at 53-55 degrees. One is 1" thick acrylic, the other is a dual-paned insulated glass lobster tank (that is getting replaced by another 1" thick acrylic tank). The California biotope would have been kept at 61-63 degrees, so 3/4" acrylic would have been fine. I live on the Oregon coast, so we usually have pretty moderate temperatures all but a few days a year.

A g. smithi (purple spot mantis) would work perfect in this size tank (imho a 5g is enough for them). And with the footprint of the tank I think you'd be ok with an angler too, assuming you'd be willing to do larger than normal weekly wcs (a skimmer would help too) since they're not real active just messy eaters. I think you'd be fine with the Redfin wasp

That is great news!! I've been wanting to keep an angler for a while now. I just assumed this tank would be too small. I guess since they aren't really active swimmers, as long as I can keep good parameters I should be okay. I'll use a skimmer and also will grow macro in the tank (if anglers are okay with that amount of light). That will definitely be one of the front runners, and quite possibly the winner! Thanks!! ?

That is great news!! I've been wanting to keep an angler for a while now. I just assumed this tank would be too small. I guess since they aren't really active swimmers, as long as I can keep good parameters I should be okay. I'll use a skimmer and also will grow macro in the tank (if anglers are okay with that amount of light). That will definitely be one of the front runners, and quite possibly the winner! Thanks!! ?

Macros would be a great addition to this tank, won't be a problem at all with the angler, in fact would probably help give it some places to hide so it can "ambush" or at least think it is :D

Does anyone have any experience with a Japanese Redfin waspfish? I can't find any info on tank size for these guys, but it looks like they stay small. I'm wondering if one would be appropriate for a tank this size.

I was looking at a brown wasp fish he is said to need a 40g
but the red fin wasp fish says 20 g heres the link I found it in
they say he gets 3 3/4 inch I always give room I'd do a 40g

Redfin Waspfish - Paracentropogon rubripinnis - Small

Pm me when you get back I can help you with macro's as I am hooked on them
I got sources where they say small portions I did 4 tanks and still had tons left that I traded in at pet shop , I hate to see there large portions there prices are awesome

Back
Top Bottom