Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

White Cheek Tang

Hello guys I just got a white cheek tang and he is eating great, colors are great, but he seems to sometimes look like he dives to the sand to stir it up, almost like he is trying to scratch himself as if he has an itch. Is this normal.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:10 PM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
No, doesn't sound normal at all. Did you quarantine the fish before adding it to your tank? And exactly which species do you have? There are 2 tangs called white face or white cheek, a.nigricans and a.japonicus, and neither are very hardy.

A. nigricans &A.japonicus

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
Thanx but no.....

My yellow does something like that when he's begging for food.. He'll come screaming along the bottom, turn sideways and glide along the sand (stirring it up in a storm) then sweep upward and stop mid tank.. Staring out the front.. as if begging. Always left to right (which makes a mess because the overflow is in the other corner). He also seems to enjoy nudging the snails buried in the sand.

In the end he's a pia... doesn't bully anyone else.. just always buzzing around everyone being a nudge.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I did quarantine the fish and he is a white cheek. He has just a little white dash under both eyes. Now that I think of it though. When I got him at the store he was doing it as well, and the yellow tang in the display tank at the store (300 g reef) did the same sort of thing. I just didnt know what it mean. When he is not eating he is fine and does not do it.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe some pics? *hopeful puppy dog eyes*

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'll do my best to get some pics and video tomorrow of it.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

this is what he does..eats very well..stopped the "scratching" in the sand thing a little though. relaxes when its dark but plays when lights are on like this. sorry about the bad pic..i tried to post a video but dont know how
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC11168.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	21903  

Tags
tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com