Why Have they not spawned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billyclark

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi
Can anyone tell me why these kribs have not spawned yet

Billy

Attachments

• SDC10421.jpg
    SDC10421.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 68
Well we need some information before we can tell you why.

-How long have you had them?
-What are your water conditions?
-Have to tried to encourage spawning?
-What other fish do you have in the tank?
-How big is the tank?

since i am new to this I can only tell you I have had them 3 weeks i havent tried to encourage spawning its a ten gallon tank with a pair of convicts about.5 of an inch in size

First things first:

• Try Get a water test kit first of all, so you can figure out your water conditions. The Master test kit is a good starter kit and is easy to use. Only cost a maximum of $20-$25. Bought mine online for $15 or so.
  • Remove the convicts if you can, the kribs will be more comfortable with a tank of their own. If you can't remove the convicts that is fine, but be warned there will be aggression in the tank while breeding, death may accur aswell. That's why it's best to remove the convicts if you can.
How to encourage spawning if your having troubles breeding:

• Do frequent and large water changes, 40% everyday or every other day til spawning accurs.
  • Raise temp. slighty from 2-4 degrees, don't go about 80 F.
  • Feed more frequently a varity of foods. Not just the same thing everyday. Feed flakes, pellets, frozen or freeze dried foods.
  • Try to feed veggies or meaty foods aswell. If you feed them veggies blanch them. It basically means partially cook/boil them. Remove the skin and insides (like a cucumber) aswell. Meaty foods consist of live foods of earth worms, blood worms, brine shrimp, or other fry of fish.
If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

Thanks a lot I will try that and keep you up to date with what happens

cheers

Billy

To answer your other question you pm'ed me about.

Convicts normally start breeding anywhere from 6months to 1year of age. They also normally when they hit around 2in, sometimes smaller. I'm thinking if the male is older enough, they will pair off.

Back
Top Bottom