Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-26-2009, 08:53 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Wild angels & Whiptail cats

I've gone hog wild! I have been looking for some wild or wild type angels to go in my 150, and stumbled upon these, though they are actually P. leopoldi (not scalare, as are most angels you find). Being wild caught, they are still very skittish and nervous, but they have begun to spend more time out and about. I got three initially and liked them so much I got two more. They are in a 40g quarantine tank for now while I try to acclimate them from their preferred 85F to 80-82F:

Already nestled into his new home in the 150 is my whiptail catfish, Planiloricaria cryptodon. He is an awesome catfish. He burrows down into the sand, and has a filament on the end of his tail that is longer than his body. He waves it up and down, cracking it like a whip. He is not shy and stays right up at the front glass where there is a good current from a powerhead. He is eating well and does not mind the juvenile Ancistrus pair who have taken great interest in him.

Whole fish:

Head shot (he's lookin' at 'cha!)

Buried

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very pretty...love that catfish!

Old 03-26-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
CTD
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankGirl View Post
Your Whiptail is doing a very nice Freshwater Stingray impression!
Old 03-26-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

how big do those whiptails get?
Old 03-26-2009, 10:57 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Around 8", but their heads really broaden - it is going to be a significant fish for this tank, and I may wind up rethinking the whole "rooted plant" concept. He's quite vigorous with the sand so I may need to find homes for the crypts and the Echinodorus! Here is a pic of the 150 as it is now, future home to the angels:

Old 03-26-2009, 11:12 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Very nice pics! The angels are beautiful! The tank is so nice and full of plants - I hope you only have to move a few for the catfish. He is quite an interesting fish. Those barbels look very sharp! What does he eat? Do you drop in veggies?

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Deb, the barbels are actually not sharp, but soft and flexible like a cory cat. He does a lot of sand sifting. He is an omnivore, and right now his favorite are Hikari sinking pellets. I have to basically drop them right in front of him for him to find them, or maybe he's just not interested in wandering around the tank. However, he's right on it the instant the wafer hits the sand. He puts the whole thing in his mouth. It is cool because is not afraid of people, and does not mind me delivering food to him with forceps. The tank is 24" deep, and I am only 5' tall so I can't reach the bottom, lol.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:38 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

That's good that the barbels are not sharp! They look like they could cause injury during a water change if he happened to brush against you. Maybe he can't really see to search the sand for food - his eyes do point straight up! I bet those forceps come in handy for that size tank!

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

The past few years i've been keeping angle fish, marble and koi .But i really like the look of the wild type in a planted tank.Looks more natural to me.I hope that catfish dont rip the tank up. Looks like a great home for them.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

pH?

I was wonder, what is the pH of your tank with the cryptodon cat?

Tags
angel, angels, whiptail, wild

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com