Yep I'm a Betta Addict

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellieca

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I have now purchased 2 more Bettas. A new girl to add to the sorority once she's done with QT & a male. For the male I purchased yet another 10g tank. Here are some pics . . .

image-3004841419.jpg

image-1490293903.jpg
He obviously has some fin issues & a little SB but he's active & checking out his tank, he had one pellet today but I'll fast him tomorrow to see if that helps his SB.

image-1670012799.jpg
She won't stay still long enough for pics . . . She's very active & has a healthy appetite.

Well I have now purchased 2 more Bettas. A new girl to add to the sorority once she's done with QT & a male. For the male I purchased yet another 10g tank. Here are some pics . . .

He obviously has some fin issues & a little SB but he's active & checking out his tank, he had one pellet today but I'll fast him tomorrow to see if that helps his SB.

She won't stay still long enough for pics . . . She's very active & has a healthy appetite.

They are both very beautiful! How many bettas do you have? :)

Very nice, don't have one.....yet, but can definitely see the attraction!

Very nice, don't have one.....yet, but can definitely see the attraction!

Thank you. A year ago I bought my first one without doing any research, sadly he didn't make it. I have since learned so much on how to properly care for them & now have more than I probably should, LOL.

I only have one male love his personality :) would love to have more but don't have the room. Your lucky!

LOL. Yeah I didn't think I had room either but I was determined & figured out where I could put the tanks. The newest one went in the kitchen on a buffet cabinet that had knick knacks on it until yesterday. 2 of my 10g tanks are side by side on the fireplace hearth, needless to say the fireplace no longer gets used. I have one more spot I could put another 5.5g tank :-o

LOL. Yeah I didn't think I had room either but I was determined & figured out where I could put the tanks. The newest one went in the kitchen on a buffet cabinet that had knick knacks on it until yesterday. 2 of my 10g tanks are side by side on the fireplace hearth, needless to say the fireplace no longer gets used. I have one more spot I could put another 5.5g tank :-o

Now that is what I'd call a dedicated Betta lover! I was actually looking around my house looking for tank spots. I just wish my toddlers could be trusted not to be so wild, otherwise I'd have many more options!!

Thank you. A year ago I bought my first one without doing any research, sadly he didn't make it. I have since learned so much on how to properly care for them & now have more than I probably should, LOL.

Can they go in with other fish? I have a 125 gallon community tank right now with a couple gold fish and one tinfoil barb.

Can they go in with other fish? I have a 125 gallon community tank right now with a couple gold fish and one tinfoil barb.

Male bettas are very territorial and best housed by themselves. Females can usually be housed together. I don't know about females with other types of fish.

I love your male!!
Im a tad betta obsessed as well! at one time I had 25 adults and tons of fry! I've brought that number down to 14 plus 10 fry now that I'm getting more into BN plecos, but I'm sure it'll go back up again!

I would avoid adding one to whats in that 125 right now. They can make good community fish, but have to be in a peaceful community. Barbs tend to be pretty nippy and would probably try to eat his fins, and the goldfish will eventually be big enough to eat him. Not to mention goldfish are coldwater and bettas and barbs are tropical. If anything you should look into adding more tinfoil barbs, they are schooling fish so you should technically add atleast 4 more of them and move them to a tank where their temperature can be atleast 76*f.

I would avoid adding one to whats in that 125 right now. They can make good community fish, but have to be in a peaceful community. Barbs tend to be pretty nippy and would probably try to eat his fins, and the goldfish will eventually be big enough to eat him. Not to mention goldfish are coldwater and bettas and barbs are tropical. If anything you should look into adding more tinfoil barbs, they are schooling fish so you should technically add atleast 4 more of them and move them to a tank where their temperature can be atleast 76*f.

This is good advice!

I'm a betta addict too. When the two females I got off of aquabid come in later this week, I will have 8 females and 3 males. And I will begin breeding once I get the new girls conditioned. I have 5 tanks set up currently, and 3 are for bettas. And soon a fry tank will be going up!

This is good advice!

I'm a betta addict too. When the two females I got off of aquabid come in later this week, I will have 8 females and 3 males. And I will begin breeding once I get the new girls conditioned. I have 5 tanks set up currently, and 3 are for bettas. And soon a fry tank will be going up!

Woohoo! Sounds like you're keeping busy!! Make sure to have tons of jars ready before breeding, sometimes you have to seperate fry super early! I've had to seperate at 6 weeks before.
32oz deli containers from food stores like Gordon Food service would suffice, I personally try for 64oz at minimum but recently went to the dollar store and found they had 3/4 gallon liquid tupperware containers for $1 a piece and bought out the entire stock to allow for more room per individual male to grow. Goodluck with your breeding project! I just pulled an HM pair for conditioning yesterday as well.

(Sorry for thread jacking, I just love talking bettas!)

I had two tinfoil barbs but got a diseased pleco and by the time I got everything under control one died. I didn't have a QT tank setup yet but needless to say I do now so when I get some extra money I will be getting some more friends for the one I have. I only had the goldfish in there to help cycle the tank months ago still have a couple in there and my temp is set to 77 and has been since day one.

Thank you for the advice though. I do appreciate it. Don't mean to get off topic but do you know what makes good tank mate for barbs.

I am now up to 9 girls and 3 boys, and somewhere around 15 month old fry. And Tuesday I am planning on checking out my LFS in hopes they have a nice male. They have been getting nice ones in but I've been unable to make it on Fridays when they get their fish in. Hopefully they won't be too picked over by tuesday (would go tomorrow but they are closed Mondays) but if they are maybe I can get a ride there Friday or saturday.

I have one female and 4 males. Going to set up a 20 gal long sorority and 3 ten gals divided in threes for mooooore males :)

Back
Top Bottom