Your NOT going to believe this!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

land locked

Aquarium Advice Freak
We went to Petco (the only LFS we have) last night to buy a new thermometer for our qt tank. When we got back to the fish section the young kid (who knows us well by now) asked if we wanted some "cool stuff" for our tank. He said that just a few hours previously a young man brought in the contents of his tank, he did not want to deal with it anymore. All of the items were up for adoption!! We could not believe it. Four rocks of polyps, pink, orange and spotted sort of and one brown botton polyp with a maybe a small toad stool on the same rock. One unidetifiable encrusting something, maybe a star polyp once it opens. One HUGE green brain coral$. Three different types of Acon Lord $$$ with many heads. Lastly a larger toadstool leather. In one fell swoop we doubled the coral content in our tank and did not spend a dime. See if you can gives me clearer id's but I just had to brag about this great score. Some of the pic are from last night some from this morning so they had a little more time to adjust.

Attachments

• P6230045.jpg
    P6230045.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 66
  • P6230047.jpg
    P6230047.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 81
  • P6230048.jpg
    P6230048.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 83
  • P6230049.jpg
    P6230049.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 77
more

Here are a few more

Attachments

• P6230051.jpg
    P6230051.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 74
  • P6230058.jpg
    P6230058.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 78
  • P6240074.jpg
    P6240074.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 78
  • P6240077.jpg
    P6240077.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 63
And for the grand finale'

Attachments

• P6230038.jpg
    P6230038.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 83
  • P1010395.jpg
    P1010395.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 84
  • P1010391a.jpg
    P1010391a.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 84
Oops I forgot one, I think it is an acon lord, not sure and another pic of the brain

Attachments

• P6240091.jpg
    P6240091.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 68
  • P6240089.jpg
    P6240089.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 84
I know, we estimated about $500 . The three (or at least I think they are all three) Acon Lord go for about $20-40 a head in Denver. Today it looks like all of them are going to survive too. The brain has swollen up to about twice the size in those pictures, he is bigger than a softball. I guess he likes his new home. Do any of you know which brain it is, I researched and the two I came up with is either the lobo or the wellso phillias. I can't tell the difference in the two. Nothing has popped out of the purple crust stuff yet. Still not sure what it is. One of the ones I am calling an Acon Lord may be something else not sure yet, maybe a musso???. I forgot to mention that we also took two hermit crabs and a maroon clown fish. The only thing we did not take was a snowflake eel. Figured he would reek havok on our tank. The clown fish we put in the (huge) refugium for now because we have two maroon hosting in a RBTA I don't want to mess with that balance. Not sure how they would react. Fight is my guess.

Thanks all. In addition to everything I mentioned, I also took their tuxedo urchin, even though I already had one. Do you guy think that two small urchins are too much for my 72 gal?

Lucky you! It looks great.

(You reminded me... That's actually how my boss got her oscars! She was in Walmart (she didn't know any better at the time, though I think she does now) looking at fish, and someone brought back two huge oscars and said if Wal-mart wouldn't take them back, they were going to throw them in a river! My boss was horrified and took them on the spot, though she gave one away soon after.)

Truly fantastic timing and congratulations. I wish I could help you out with positive ID's but alas I am a Freshie.

Last edited:
Very very nice score! What a way to stock a tank!

As for your questions about the brain ID, just my opinion, but...

In the third batch of shots, and that last shot in the fourth batch - I'd say that's a Symphillia, and not a lobo. Google up some pictures if you don't have a coral book and I think you'll see what I mean. Symphillia is one massive colony that doesn't look separate when it retracts. It looks like from the shots that the "lobes" of yours are not separate. If they were, that would indicate a lobophyllia.

In that last shot, I'm thinking like you... that isn't an Acan. It just doesn't have the right look. (Don't know how to describe it.) I'm thinking some type of blastomussa?

In your second batch of shots, that one brain that your clown is hovering over... I'm pretty sure THAT's a lobophyllia.

Very nice!

Back
Top Bottom