Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-14-2015, 12:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

YW Goby

Hey guys i have my yellow watchman goby in a quarantine right now and his tail end of this body is losing color. I think he may be stressed a little and not eating much. I left the lights off. Should i go ahead and transfer him to the main display tank? Hes only been in my quarantine for 3 days. My banggai cardinals are doing just fine.

Old 11-14-2015, 01:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by madstyle1 View Post
Hey guys i have my yellow watchman goby in a quarantine right now and his tail end of this body is losing color. I think he may be stressed a little and not eating much. I left the lights off. Should i go ahead and transfer him to the main display tank? Hes only been in my quarantine for 3 days. My banggai cardinals are doing just fine.
It's also a possibility that that is a sign of the fish not being healthy and starting to break down which could mean disaster for your main tank if you moved him into there. 3 days is not long enough to determine if the fish is healthy or carrying any pathogens. I would make sure your water quality in the QT is right and add some PVC piping pieces into the tank for the goby to hide in. Once you have all that, it should help the fish feel better and more secure.

The reason you QT fish is to make sure they are healthy enough to survive in your main tank. If the fish does poorly in QT, it will most likely also do poorly in your main tank. I would never risk my main tank for a fish doing poorly in the QT tank.

Old 11-14-2015, 01:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have pvc pipes in there. I just checked ammonia and it was at 0. I probably change the water today. I left the lights off to calm him down. Since i bought him he never hid in the pvc pipes.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I have pvc pipes in there. I just checked ammonia and it was at 0. I probably change the water today. I left the lights off to calm him down. Since i bought him he never hid in the pvc pipes.
That might actually be telling you something. Watchman Gobies live in tunnels with their shrimp. If yours isn't in a tunnel ( or tube) that isn't normal. Make sure the pipes you have are not too big or too small for him to feel secure in. Might want to use an assortment of sizes for the fish to choose from and go from there.
Ammonia is not the only thing you need to check for. Nitrite, Nitrate, Salinity, and PH also are factors in the fish's health. You need to check them all.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ill add more smaller pieces and check for all.

Salinity is at 35ppt 1.026

Temp is 78.4
Old 11-14-2015, 02:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ill add more smaller pieces and check for all.

Salinity is at 35ppt 1.026

Temp is 78.4
Unless the fish is eventually going into a reef tank with a high salinity, 1.026 is a little high. Not much, but a little. For fish only tanks, 1.020-1.022 is more than fine for the fish. For reef tanks with live corals, 1.025 is close to ocean water ( depending on the seasons.)
Old 11-14-2015, 02:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I will have corals in my tank in just adding fish first to keep the bioload going in my tank.

I originally wanted to start corals first.

I kept the lights off all day today to calm him down a bit.

I fed him some mysis shrimp this morning and he ate a few only
Old 11-14-2015, 05:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Anyone thinks if i pair him up with a shrimp it will calm him down?
Old 11-14-2015, 09:32 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Anyone thinks if i pair him up with a shrimp it will calm him down?
Not if he is sick already.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey guys just wanted to give an update. YWG is doing much better. He has calmed down color came back and eating a lot. I kept the lights off to keep him calm and I changed the water. The ammonia level was pretty high as well that could be the reason for the stress.

Tags
goby

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com