1,000G Shark Tank Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Told my parents about the tank but they don't like the idea of it taking up area in the basement for the support because that's my Dads man cave lol So is there any other way? I'm just hoping someone else had to do this for their tank so they could give me tips.

I thought the area you wanna use isn't over the basement?

Mrc8858 said:
I thought the area you wanna use isn't over the basement?

Half the tank is on the floor and half is over the basement. I thought it was all on the floor.

Mrc8858 said:
He can't give up like 7-8 feet? Lol

Lol I don't think he'll need to since I've got Mr X helping me out. I think I'm looking at a $100-200 cost thanks to him.

I was a heavy commercial construction inspector for 20 years... You say there's no basement, but from the looks of your exterior picture, is there's still a crawl space under the room? If so, it's no different than a basement since you still have floor joists to be concerned with. If it is a crawl space, is it dirt foor or concrete?

EDIT: just saw the rest of the posts.... how much hangs over the basement? If it's centered over the basement wall, there's a good possibility that nothing would need done.

Phranque said:
I was a heavy commercial construction inspector for 20 years... You say there's no basement, but from the looks of your exterior picture, is there's still a crawl space under the room? If so, it's no different than a basement since you still have floor joists to be concerned with. If it is a crawl space, is it dirt foor or concrete?

EDIT: just saw the rest of the posts.... how much hangs over the basement? If it's centered over the basement wall, there's a good possibility that nothing would need done.

The tank is 142" long and 36" wide so 142" by 18" is over the basement and 142" by 18" is over the concrete floor.

So its just 18" all the way across the entire tank will be over the basement? If so then for that you could use some steal beams and floor jacks

Mrc8858 said:
So its just 18" all the way across the entire tank will be over the basement? If so then for that you could use some steal beams and floor jacks

Yep exactly. Will the evaporation do any water damage?

Idk I've never kept a small lake in my home lol you'll have to ask one of the breeders on here that have fish rooms

Keep a dehumidifier in the room and let the windows open a day or so a week and there shouldn't really be any problems. I've never had any problems with mine or other local tanks. Even the 1000 gal I help to set up

If you call around, you can probably get a structural engineer to look at it & write a report for around $200. If it's running the way you describe, with the underneath basement wall parallel with the length of the tank along the center of the mass, then you have a full length concrete pillar supporting the load and transferring it directly to the foundation system.... my bets are that you won't have to do a darn thing. You honestly couldn't have asked for a better location.

This build sounds amazing!

I have to get a few things answered if you don't mind- how old are you?
How did you get your parents to go for such a huge tank?
What shark are you going to put in it?

I think it's awesome!

It would fall right through my living room. But I'd be scuba diving in it all the time! LOL!

Bearchumjs said:
This build sounds amazing!

I have to get a few things answered if you don't mind- how old are you?
How did you get your parents to go for such a huge tank?
What shark are you going to put in it?

I think it's awesome!

It would fall right through my living room. But I'd be scuba diving in it all the time! LOL!

Thanks,
I showed it to my dad and he watches tanked alot and so he told me if he pays that much it better look similar.

I'm 16

I was think a trio coral sharks. But it turns out I can't get the tank. I contacted the seller and he's a scammer. He said wire the money and he'll send me the tank with a shipping company because.

Ibrahim said:
Thanks,
I showed it to my dad and he watches tanked alot and so he told me if he pays that much it better look similar.

I'm 16

I was think a trio coral sharks. But it turns out I can't get the tank. I contacted the seller and he's a scammer. He said wire the money and he'll send me the tank with a shipping company because.

Good for you for catching the scam. Sorry that you aren't getting the tank. It would have been awesome!!

Yes, awesome catch, so to speak. Glad you didn't get hooked...*i'll stop lol*. Very nice house, btw.

Back
Top Bottom