Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I keep all my tanks at 1.026, even my fish only tanks. It's what the fish were in before they got to you so how can replicating their enviroment be a bad thing? Maybe I'm missing something

Old 01-31-2012, 07:02 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

From what i have been reading It doesn't increase oxygen it lowers the osmotic pressure and that allows the fish to breathe easier . It still doesn't mean you should keep your salinity low natural 1.026 is the way to go.

^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:33 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nothing is etched in stone ,,i keep all my tanks at1.020 because of things i've have read ...Said to be less stress and like hondatek said about breathing ...
For the original question though,,i always put my new fish right through hypo
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:41 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
That's completely false. It is etched in stone. You are recreating the reef in your home. You do everything you can to make sure the parameters are that of natural sea water. Fish would be suffocating in the ocean if it was bad for them!
Old 01-31-2012, 08:52 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

IDK ,I'm no marine biologist or anything so i take what they write and study has to have some truth to it..
The oceans are all different ..Some areas have salinity up to 1.029 ,others 1.021..
I know we all try to recreate the ocean life for our fish in a box,,but to me thats nonsense ,,its impossible to do this in a home aquarium ..
Old 01-31-2012, 08:59 PM   #16
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Once again....
Ron Shimek's Website...Critters
"Coral reefs are generally located in areas that have salinities in the range of 35 ppt to 38 ppt. Most of our corals, and the associated fauna including fishes, will live best at those conditions (Weber and White 1976). Most organisms, even osmoconformers, can survive for brief periods in salinities well outside their normal range. But if maintained for longer period outside of that range they will be stressed and eventually will become so damaged that they will die even if returned to their normal salinity. Higher salinity is slightly more tolerable to these animals than is lower salinity, and adult animals are more able to withstand the extremes than are the juveniles or larvae."
"The bottom line for salinities is simple. There is simply no reason at all to maintain the salinities of our systems below normal reef conditions. All reef inhabitants will suffer damage from prolonged exposure to lowered salinities. Invertebrates kept at low salinities often die within a few days to a few months. Given that corals, sea anemones, sponges and some other invertebrates have no old age or senescence (or to put it another way, they are immortal), low salinities result in a quick death. Some mollusks, crustaceans, and most fish kept at low salinities die of kidney failure; it just takes them longer. A fish which dies in a couple of years in a hyposaline aquarium may have had the potential to live more than 20 years had the salinity been appropriate."

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
"For reference, natural ocean water has a salinity of about 35 ppt, corresponding to a specific gravity of about 1.0264 and a conductivity of 53 mS/cm.
As far as I know, there is little real evidence that keeping a coral reef aquarium at anything other than natural levels is preferable. It appears to be common practice to keep marine fish, and in many cases reef aquaria, at somewhat lower than natural salinity levels. This practice stems, at least in part, from the belief that fish are less stressed at reduced salinity. Substantial misunderstandings also arise among aquarists as to how specific gravity really relates to salinity, especially considering temperature effects.
Ron Shimek has discussed salinity on natural reefs in a previous article. His recommendation, and mine as well, is to maintain salinity at a natural level. If the organisms in the aquarium are from brackish environments with lower salinity, or from the Red Sea with higher salinity, selecting something other than 35 ppt may make good sense. Otherwise, I suggest targeting a salinity of 35 ppt (specific gravity = 1.0264; conductivity = 53 mS/cm)."
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:59 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. Those articles I read I won't listen to. I keep my salinity at 1.026.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:06 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thats fine ,,a lot of things make sense ,,i'm not trying to convince anyone of anything...I'm not qualified to do so..I have read articles too..A lot of the ones i read say what i already said..
Check a lot of the online fish dealers too,,Live Aquaria suggests a range from 1.020(what i keep) to 1.025 ,,they don;t even go to 1.026...
If you dig long enough you'll find everybody is right and wrong
Old 01-31-2012, 10:08 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah to many contradicting articles lol
They give you a large safe range to keep them at tho.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:44 AM   #20
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I don't mean to drag this out or start any arguments, but do you have any links to articles that say lower salinity is better? And by articles I don't mean links to someones post on a forum or a manufacturers or retailers recommendations.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
qt tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com