1.016 too low for QT tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure what really makes a place creditable or legit,but heres some places i remember reading about acceptable SG levels
Maintaining Proper Water Quality in the Home Aquarium
How to set up saltwater fish tank
Vivid Aquariums - Aquarium Help and Troubleshooting
Aquarium Keeping at Home

This link about hyposalinity also discusses studies and experimental tanks
hypoOSTtherapyart.htm

I don't feel like any of us are arguing ,just pointing things out and discussing things we have come across over the years ...I know i'm not at the level a lot of you are ( only about 6 yrs and have only ever kept fish and basic corals,,mushrooms ,rics,hammers,frogs)

No arguments just trying to find...say a reliable source to direct people to for information or a source of info for future reference.

I have found many mistakes on the live aquaria website. Calling LPS corals SPS, and suggesting the wrong foods for corals...things like that. I've also seen that websites copy and paste from each other.

Yeah proves theres many sites nt to trust I'll stick with what the guys at my local reef store tell me occasionally. And of course what you guys here say.

A really good idea is to get a couple small fish and coral reference books. I have mine in my car so if I find a fish i must have I check it out first in the book. Couldn't live without it. :)

Great Carey I'm thinking about going to Barnes and Nobel tomorrow and picking up a few books. You know those are reputable sources.

I think it's kind of the same even with books. Can't rely on just one source of information. I use the books as a guide and confirm online. But it is nice to have the book handy if youre not expecting to buy something and see something you just MUST have. lol

I would take what was written in some of those links with a grain of salt ;).
Some say the best lighting for good coral color is 5K-7K, some recommend undergravel filters and crushed coral, some say the salinity of natural seawater is 1.026 but recommend something lower with no reason given why. I'll stick with what I've been doing for the last 20 yrs or so and follow Randy Holmes-Farley and Ron Shimek's advice..."There is simply no reason at all to maintain the salinities of our systems below normal reef conditions.".
Ronald L. Shimek, Ph. D. - Reefkeeping Online Magazine
Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping Online Magazine
(in case you don't know who these guys are)

Hey i agree,,but just about everything in life is taken with a grain of salt:)
Obviously there is some wiggle room here,if there wasn't none of this would even be discussed,studied,tested and documented ..
Like i said ,my 6 yrs to your 20 is nothing,can't even compare ,but i like to think i'm doing something right ..

Back
Top Bottom