Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-15-2006, 03:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1.019 salt

I just did a water change couple days ago and checked my salinity today is at 1.019. It is on the very low side. How much should i mix and with how much water to bring it up a bit in the main tank? I am afraid to make it jump up too much and stress the fish!! Although they look fine and happy as usual.

Also my QT is same. Right now in that tank there are no fish, But there will be within a week or so. Is it true i read some people leave that salinity on the lower level like the 1.019 to prevent sickness?

Any advice, i would appreciate.

momzacmarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:51 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I keep mine at 1.020, BUT, I have a FOWLR, some corals don't like it that low. A lower salinity makes it easier for the fish to breathe. You can bring it up in the main, slowly. Do a PWC and have your water at a little bit of a higher salinity. The amount will depend on the % of PWC vs. size of tank.

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
I've raised my SG using 2 dif way:

1. Topoff everyday with new SW (Recommended)

2. Take out some SW from ur tank then add reef salt to it. Slowly add the water back in the tank.
I'm one of those fishnutz, who are actually nutz.
FishFrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 06:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
If you have a FO or FOWLR then 1.019 is not all that low. Most LFS keep theirs at that level. I you have corals or inverts a higher level is needed. 1.023-1.025 is more appropriate. If you choose to raise the level it must be down VERY SLOWLY. go up one point every couple of days. As mentioned, topping off with well-aged SW instead of FW for a week or so should do the trick. Any ideas how it got so low?
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:28 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I always check it before i put it in the tank, when doing a WC... i think i missed that step this time. I mixed the salt correctly... so i thought.

My tank is FOWLR but i do also have some shrimp, herm crabs and brittle stars. I do not have any corals.

I will bring it up a tiny bit... i think will do it.

thanks all!
momzacmarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:56 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist
I would make up some higher salinity water and then calculate the percentage water change needed to bring it up 1/1000 of a point every time you do a PWC Quick math to help your calculations.

e.g 100gal tank with a 10 gal PWC

90gals (remainder of tank) @ your level of 1.019
10 gals made at 1.030

.90 x 1.019 = .9171
.10 x 1.030 = .1030

Your salinity will be 1.020 after a 10% PWC

Adjust #'s for your tank size and % water change

Finatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com