1.019 salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

momzacmarvin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just did a water change couple days ago and checked my salinity today is at 1.019. It is on the very low side. How much should i mix and with how much water to bring it up a bit in the main tank? I am afraid to make it jump up too much and stress the fish!! Although they look fine and happy as usual.

Also my QT is same. Right now in that tank there are no fish, But there will be within a week or so. Is it true i read some people leave that salinity on the lower level like the 1.019 to prevent sickness?

Any advice, i would appreciate.

I keep mine at 1.020, BUT, I have a FOWLR, some corals don't like it that low. A lower salinity makes it easier for the fish to breathe. You can bring it up in the main, slowly. Do a PWC and have your water at a little bit of a higher salinity. The amount will depend on the % of PWC vs. size of tank.

I've raised my SG using 2 dif way:

1. Topoff everyday with new SW (Recommended)

2. Take out some SW from ur tank then add reef salt to it. Slowly add the water back in the tank.

If you have a FO or FOWLR then 1.019 is not all that low. Most LFS keep theirs at that level. I you have corals or inverts a higher level is needed. 1.023-1.025 is more appropriate. If you choose to raise the level it must be down VERY SLOWLY. go up one point every couple of days. As mentioned, topping off with well-aged SW instead of FW for a week or so should do the trick. Any ideas how it got so low?

I always check it before i put it in the tank, when doing a WC... i think i missed that step this time. I mixed the salt correctly... so i thought.

My tank is FOWLR but i do also have some shrimp, herm crabs and brittle stars. I do not have any corals.

I will bring it up a tiny bit... i think will do it.

thanks all!

I would make up some higher salinity water and then calculate the percentage water change needed to bring it up 1/1000 of a point every time you do a PWC Quick math to help your calculations.

e.g 100gal tank with a 10 gal PWC

90gals (remainder of tank) @ your level of 1.019
10 gals made at 1.030

.90 x 1.019 = .9171
.10 x 1.030 = .1030

Your salinity will be 1.020 after a 10% PWC

Adjust #'s for your tank size and % water change

Back
Top Bottom