1-1/2 yr old tank bad diatom outbreak...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smarkalan83

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had my 60 gallon up for a year and a half now ...about 2 months ago I was talked into using purple up to help my corraline growth...well about month into using it I had bad cyano outbreak which I decided to try and suck up the cyano and I guess I took too much sand out...now I have a dark brown layer across 3/4 of my tank and on certain rocks...when the lights come on u don't see any but then it gets darker through the day...what is my best option I already change 15 gallons and have been changing 5-10 every 2 weeks but it doesn't seem to be getting better...guy at lfs said I just have to wait it will go away but is that the truth???

If it's diatoms, then yes you need to wait it out as they consume the silicates in your tank. Are you sure it's diatoms? Seems odd to get diatoms with a year and a half tank.

That's what I thought but when I talked to various guys at lfs they said they are pretty sure it is diatoms because I messed w the sand it had to start biological cycling all over again...he looked at my tank levels he said everything was normal

Back
Top Bottom