Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2003, 09:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

10 gal lighting for live rock...again

So I went and picked up two strip lights. One actinic and one 50/50 as suggested by Reefrunner!...Thanks again!

Just wondering how long I should run the lights daily.

The LR is fully cured and the tank is still cycling, on day 5 I think!

Just want some pretty coralline! Hopefully some hitchhikers too! I think one of the colorfull rocks might be a piece of Ricordia? There are still some polyps attached to it. Not going to add any corals.

Thanks mates!

Old 08-13-2003, 12:19 PM   #2
steve-s

You will want to keep the light to a minimum while the tank cycles so it does not fuel unwanted algaes and such, 3-4 hrs/day should be fine to keep things maintained. Once the cycle is over you can slowly increase that amount by Ĺhr/day until you are upto a full days cycle. Corallines on the rock will especially grow well in with lights in the 420nm range so the actinic will be the greatest benefit. Both can eventually be run from 10-12 hrs a day once the tank is ready.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-13-2003, 12:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks again Steve!
Old 08-13-2003, 03:56 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Get a timmer from walmart or some simular store. They are less than $5 and will make it much easier to have the 12 on/off light cycle.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lighting, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com