10 Gallon FOWLR Stocking Options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettababe1011

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm planning on eventually doing a 55 gallon reef, but I'm only fourteen, so that's a ways away until I can afford it. I do however have a ten gallon that isn't being used for anything. I was wondering what I could put in this for fish and shrimp? And I may eventually go reef with this one, but I want to go slowly into starting saltwater. So, what are my options for this tank? I know they're limited, but are there any small, colorful, and active fish that could go in here?

Only one fish probably. Maybe two. I would recommend a firefish, and maybe a watchman goby. If you get damsels, aggression will become a huge problem
Since the tank is small, so stay away from them. As for shrimp, you could really get as many as you want as long ad their is not aggression between them.

Yeah, I've read many stories about damsels becoming a scourge upon the tank. So I was gonna stay away from them anyway. What equipment am I going to need for this? Will a regular HOB filter work, or will I need a powerhead even for a smaller tank? And do I need a protein skimmer, or will more frequent water changes work?

Power head is a must. HOB filter will work well for a 10 gallon. Protein skimmers in my opinion are always good but you could get away with not having one with frequent water changes.

Yes that should work. That is a fantastic site for information. I refer to it frequently for info. And, btw, I'm 13 so I get the budget part :)! I do have a 150, but when I want to add stuff, I have to wait. Good luck with your build!!!!!

Okay, definitely getting that fish then. :) I'm probably gonna have to wait till my birthday, which is in October, before I'll have enough money to get started on the build. Unless I can get enough chore money. XD

We just had a problem with figuring out which power head to get :) 1st suggestion don't get a Petco brand. It smoked and shocked my husband. It destroyed our salt mix and the house stank for 3+ hours! I would suggest this one. Not to expensive. You could also get it off amazon or eBay for cheaper. (parents permission) you maybe lucky enough to find one on Craigslist too.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4586+23591&pcatid=23591

I'm doing chores now so I can set up an RDSB in my sump... I need to put another baffle in. I'm having an all out war with nitrates.

Yeah that's a good powerhead. I have 2 koralia 1400s in my 150. Work great. Only thing is sometimes they run backwards. If that happens keep unplugging them and plugging then in until it works.

I am also 14 and just got a 120 reef tank
This seems like the discussion with the youngest ppl on this forum lol!
But the tank is going great

Awesome! So, it looks like this plan is actually coming together. Because I have officially bough the first thing to turn the ten gallon into a saltwater tank: a glass top. :D

Nice!!!! Now we just need jack and grant to join in. C'mon guys!!!! I'll get them to join. One sec lol. Can't wait till this is set up!

Lol, I can't wait either! XD and I've decided that it's eventually gonna be reef, so when I do the actual build thread, it'll be in the nano reefs section. :)

Okie dokie!

So, I'm definitely getting a firefish, a yellow watchman goby, and I was also thinking about getting a tiger snapping shrimp. Or at least, I think that's what it's called. But I was reading about the goby's relationship with some shrimps, and it's fascinating!

I'm 13, so I hope I'm welcome to the young people thread as well lol.

May I suggest some scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp? I have a couple in my 10 gallon fowlr, and I adore them! They are hysterical, and it's fascinating watching them jump from rock to rock and picking up food with their little white legs. They remind me of horses when they jump.

As for invertebrates, you can also get hermit crabs or snails. I've never been truly successful with hermits but I do have one left that is thriving. Snails are good for algae, nerites or turbo. My chestnut turbo snail ate up all the green hair algae that one of my rocks had on it when I bought it.

Firefish are wonderful fish for nano tanks. You can go with red, purple, or helfrichi. The helfrichi is absolutely gorgeous, but extremely expensive. I'm getting a purple one for my tank (It's pretty new).

P.S. I agree with you. The symbiosis between watchman gobies and shrimp are amazing!

Back
Top Bottom