100% DIY mantas shrimp tank need advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wackarnold327

Aquarium Advice Newbie
currently deployed to afghanistan plan on building a cichlid tank. but my brother inlaw wants me to help him with a mantis shrimp tank. here is the plan so far.
right now i'm looking at a 60 gallon tank with dual back corner overflows plummed at 3/4" on the left side will have a drain half way up to facilitate 50% water changes easier. the plumbing will lead to a T. one going to a ball valve and the drain hose. the other through a ball valve into the sump where we plann on keeping his live food such as crabs and clams. the sump will be plummed into a ball valve and a home made 4-6" PVC canister filter with one foot of machanical filter padding layered with floss, carbon, biolayer. followed by K1 kaldness. from the filter the water will pass through a 10-20 gallon fluidized bed then back to the tank.
question being
1. are these filters enough or do i need a prtien skimmer still?
2. since the tank is so large can we keep more than one peacock in it?
we are trying to keep this with as small of a budget as possible yet keep it effective. any input is helpfull. all i know is freashwater. right now i'm looking at about 2 grand for everything from the lights to the sump. except the stand.

Back
Top Bottom