10g saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
How much would you all estimate it would cost to make my 10g into saltwater with just some live rock, no corals or anything. I have the tank and stand and stuff, but was just wondering. Also, what could i house in this tank? This is just an idea, nothing for sure.

Well you'd be real limited on fish. You could most likely get a couple tiny fish, like clown gobies or maybe a firefish, things like that. Check out the nano section at Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums for ideas. They list tank sizes and care etc etc..
You could also add a bunch of inverts like shrimp, crabs, snails and hermits.

As far as cost it all depends on how much live rock is near you. Craigslist almost always has some good deals if you check it out. I'd say you'd need about 15lbs of rock, either base or live and another 15lbs or so of sand.

if you have it a hang on back filter will work and just need a heater and a powerhead for maybe $30.

Hope that helps

good luck

Wow!!!!! Thanks so much carey. I way always under the impression the fish cost sooo much, but these beginner fish are pretty easy! I have a heater for the ten and a powerhead, but i think the powerhead would be pretty strong for the ten. I have just regular white sand, could i reuse that? And could i get a certain type of clown? (everyone wants one, right?!) hahah i highly doubt the clown, but i like the firefish and gobies!

I wouldnt reuse the sand from freshwater, I'd just get new sand, it's cheap enough. :)

What kind of powerhead do you have already?

As far as a clown, maybe an oscellaris and one other tiny fish, like a goby. You can also have the inverts too :-D

carey said:
I wouldnt reuse the sand from freshwater, I'd just get new sand, it's cheap enough. :)

What kind of powerhead do you have already?

As far as a clown, maybe an oscellaris and one other tiny fish, like a goby. You can also have the inverts too :-D

Jeez im not home at the moment...ill find out later aboit the powerhead. Haha you have gotten me all excited about saltwater! They sell liverock at my lfs, so ill look into that! But im only worried about keeping the water params in check, bec a 10g is so small and could change easily. Any suggestions? Im not new to fish for fw, 40 gallon planted, and multiple 10's, but i havent a clue on how to start up a 10g salt! So maybe itd cost

Sand-20$
Lr-30-40$
Clown+goby+shrimp-30-40$
Not too bad!

In such a small tank as long as you are religious about water changes and not overfeeding then you should be able to keep the water stable. You also will want to look into buying ro/di water from the lfs as well, regular tap water has phosphates ans other bad things in it.

Also don't forget about getting a salinity reader, you can start off with a swing arm plastic one but a $30 refractometer is a much better option. And finally you'll need salt if youre mixing your own water. :-D

carey said:
In such a small tank as long as you are religious about water changes and not overfeeding then you should be able to keep the water stable. You also will want to look into buying ro/di water from the lfs as well, regular tap water has phosphates ans other bad things in it.

Also don't forget about getting a salinity reader, you can start off with a swing arm plastic one but a $30 refractometer is a much better option. And finally you'll need salt if youre mixing your own water. :-D

How much is ro water per gallon? I assume its pretty cheap? And if i bought the water, i would still need the salt? And the refractometer measures the waters salt content? I have an api test kit for fw, but i might need to test different levels for salt right? The levels are

Salinity
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Calcium?

I wouldnt worry about calcium if youre just doing a fish only tank. The chemicals are the same for sw & fw tests the color chart is just a bit different. And yep, refractometer measures the salinity of the water. Very important in such a small tank.

I was paying 50 cents a gallon for ro/di water at my lfs but switched to the water from those water machines they have at supermarkets for 30 cents a gallon. You will need approximately 3-4 gallons a week depending on your water changes and the evaporation rate.

carey said:
I wouldnt worry about calcium if youre just doing a fish only tank. The chemicals are the same for sw & fw tests the color chart is just a bit different. And yep, refractometer measures the salinity of the water. Very important in such a small tank.

I was paying 50 cents a gallon for ro/di water at my lfs but switched to the water from those water machines they have at supermarkets for 30 cents a gallon. You will need approximately 3-4 gallons a week depending on your water changes and the evaporation rate.

So ya think i should do it? The tank has water in it still, but it is so tempting! Could i do
1 ocorellis clown
1 yellow prawn goby
How many and what type of shrimp do you reccommend?
Could i add some hermit crabs? Or skip it?

It's entirely up to you. :)

I think you would be ok with just those 2 fish. I would add a few small peppermints, maybe 2-3 or maybe a fire shrimp, they are really cool. Or you could go with smaller shrimp like a couple sexy shrimp or gold coral banded shrimps. Hermits are up to you too. They can be handy to have but if you don't like em no reason you have to buy them

carey said:
It's entirely up to you. :)

I think you would be ok with just those 2 fish. I would add a few small peppermints, maybe 2-3 or maybe a fire shrimp, they are really cool. Or you could go with smaller shrimp like a couple sexy shrimp or gold coral banded shrimps. Hermits are up to you too. They can be handy to have but if you don't like em no reason you have to buy them

Haha great!! Do sw aquariums get dirty quickly? i always see sw tanks with lots of algea on the powerheads and such. Also, when starting the aquarium, do i just pop in the live rock and wait for it to cycle? Any other things i should know? Lile i said, im pretty dumb when it comes to sw

carey said:
Heres a link on cyclign sw. It's pretty much the same as fw

Cycle your salt tank

Simple enough!! So i cant use any water from my sink at all? I have to use the water from the pet store? If i could drive that would be no big deal, but...

Also, are there and good articles, that explain kind of how to start a sw tank for noobs? I dont want to have to ask all my questions here and bore all of you to death!!

Thankyou so much! Ok, so correct me if im wrong but i do this for my 10g..
Clean out tank, cant use old sand
Fill with ro/di water from lfs (does it come mixed with the salt?)
Add say 10lbs of base rock and 4 lbs of live rock
Add the sand (can i use pfs?)
Add one raw shrimp for cycling
Done?

Also i have things that come with the average 10g tank such as;
Hob filter
Heater
Standard hood and light
10g tank
Stand

shopping list;
10 lbs base rock
4-5 lbs live rock
The salt mix? What type?
Sand? Sure i cant just clean my used 10g sand very well?
Refrotractor (sorry bad spelling!)
Is this it?? Anything else to add to the list if i were to fallow through with making my FIRST sw aquarium?? Thanks if you actually read all of that!!! :D:D:D

If you have used any copper based meds in your fresh water tank it may have leached into the silicon. Copper kills invertebrates so you will want to clean out the tank very well.

Don't reuse your sand it is cheap enough to get new. Like Carey said check craigslist for rock. Rock at the LFS is 6 or 7 a pound on craigslist it goes between 1 and 3 per pound.

joy13 said:
If you have used any copper based meds in your fresh water tank it may have leached into the silicon. Copper kills invertebrates so you will want to clean out the tank very well.

Don't reuse your sand it is cheap enough to get new. Like Carey said check craigslist for rock. Rock at the LFS is 6 or 7 a pound on craigslist it goes between 1 and 3 per pound.

Thank you joy :) ok ill skip the sand, and search around for libe rock. Couldn't it come with hitchhikers if its from a bad source on craigslist? Any ideas of what salt to get? Also, is there anything else i need, or should look into?

Back
Top Bottom