Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-22-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

10g saltwater

How much would you all estimate it would cost to make my 10g into saltwater with just some live rock, no corals or anything. I have the tank and stand and stuff, but was just wondering. Also, what could i house in this tank? This is just an idea, nothing for sure.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well you'd be real limited on fish. You could most likely get a couple tiny fish, like clown gobies or maybe a firefish, things like that. Check out the nano section at Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums for ideas. They list tank sizes and care etc etc..
You could also add a bunch of inverts like shrimp, crabs, snails and hermits.

As far as cost it all depends on how much live rock is near you. Craigslist almost always has some good deals if you check it out. I'd say you'd need about 15lbs of rock, either base or live and another 15lbs or so of sand.

if you have it a hang on back filter will work and just need a heater and a powerhead for maybe $30.

Hope that helps

good luck

Old 10-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Wow!!!!! Thanks so much carey. I way always under the impression the fish cost sooo much, but these beginner fish are pretty easy! I have a heater for the ten and a powerhead, but i think the powerhead would be pretty strong for the ten. I have just regular white sand, could i reuse that? And could i get a certain type of clown? (everyone wants one, right?!) hahah i highly doubt the clown, but i like the firefish and gobies!
Old 10-22-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I wouldnt reuse the sand from freshwater, I'd just get new sand, it's cheap enough.

What kind of powerhead do you have already?

As far as a clown, maybe an oscellaris and one other tiny fish, like a goby. You can also have the inverts too
Old 10-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I wouldnt reuse the sand from freshwater, I'd just get new sand, it's cheap enough.

What kind of powerhead do you have already?

As far as a clown, maybe an oscellaris and one other tiny fish, like a goby. You can also have the inverts too
Jeez im not home at the moment...ill find out later aboit the powerhead. Haha you have gotten me all excited about saltwater! They sell liverock at my lfs, so ill look into that! But im only worried about keeping the water params in check, bec a 10g is so small and could change easily. Any suggestions? Im not new to fish for fw, 40 gallon planted, and multiple 10's, but i havent a clue on how to start up a 10g salt! So maybe itd cost

Sand-20$
Lr-30-40$
Clown+goby+shrimp-30-40$
Not too bad!
Old 10-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

In such a small tank as long as you are religious about water changes and not overfeeding then you should be able to keep the water stable. You also will want to look into buying ro/di water from the lfs as well, regular tap water has phosphates ans other bad things in it.

Also don't forget about getting a salinity reader, you can start off with a swing arm plastic one but a $30 refractometer is a much better option. And finally you'll need salt if youre mixing your own water.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
In such a small tank as long as you are religious about water changes and not overfeeding then you should be able to keep the water stable. You also will want to look into buying ro/di water from the lfs as well, regular tap water has phosphates ans other bad things in it.

Also don't forget about getting a salinity reader, you can start off with a swing arm plastic one but a $30 refractometer is a much better option. And finally you'll need salt if youre mixing your own water.
How much is ro water per gallon? I assume its pretty cheap? And if i bought the water, i would still need the salt? And the refractometer measures the waters salt content? I have an api test kit for fw, but i might need to test different levels for salt right? The levels are

Salinity
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Calcium?
Old 10-22-2011, 07:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I wouldnt worry about calcium if youre just doing a fish only tank. The chemicals are the same for sw & fw tests the color chart is just a bit different. And yep, refractometer measures the salinity of the water. Very important in such a small tank.

I was paying 50 cents a gallon for ro/di water at my lfs but switched to the water from those water machines they have at supermarkets for 30 cents a gallon. You will need approximately 3-4 gallons a week depending on your water changes and the evaporation rate.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
I wouldnt worry about calcium if youre just doing a fish only tank. The chemicals are the same for sw & fw tests the color chart is just a bit different. And yep, refractometer measures the salinity of the water. Very important in such a small tank.

I was paying 50 cents a gallon for ro/di water at my lfs but switched to the water from those water machines they have at supermarkets for 30 cents a gallon. You will need approximately 3-4 gallons a week depending on your water changes and the evaporation rate.
So ya think i should do it? The tank has water in it still, but it is so tempting! Could i do
1 ocorellis clown
1 yellow prawn goby
How many and what type of shrimp do you reccommend?
Could i add some hermit crabs? Or skip it?
Old 10-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It's entirely up to you.

I think you would be ok with just those 2 fish. I would add a few small peppermints, maybe 2-3 or maybe a fire shrimp, they are really cool. Or you could go with smaller shrimp like a couple sexy shrimp or gold coral banded shrimps. Hermits are up to you too. They can be handy to have but if you don't like em no reason you have to buy them

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com