Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2012, 10:39 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

pics of my sump and plumbing can be found in the link in my sig.

HPballer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPballer76
looks good to me. only thing i'm not sure about is the check valves. someone else will have to answer on those but i don't have any on my tank.
Ok I know I am using them for sure they stop water flow from going in the opposite direction incase of power outages which would lead to sump overflow

Old 02-23-2012, 10:51 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have a single check valve on my return line. I also have ball valves on both in and out lines just in case. I wouldnt rely just on a check valve though, they can fail. Make sure you put a small hole in the return line where it is just under the water in the tank so that if the check valve fails at least the hole will break the back siphon.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:53 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan-peddle

Ok I know I am using them for sure they stop water flow from going in the opposite direction incase of power outages which would lead to sump overflow
Some times they get clogged which will lead to problems. You don't need a check valve on the input. It can get clogged even faster since that's where water that hasn't been filtered comes in from.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:55 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I have a single check valve on my return line. I also have ball valves on both in and out lines just in case. I wouldnt rely just on a check valve though, they can fail. Make sure you put a small hole in the return line where it is just under the water in the tank so that if the check valve fails at least the hole will break the back siphon.
That's a great idea just wondering where to put the hole my tank will be drilled with bulkheads
Old 02-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim

Some times they get clogged which will lead to problems. You don't need a check valve on the input. It can get clogged even faster since that's where water that hasn't been filtered comes in from.
That's a good point too I just want to make sure I don't overflow if the power goes out
Old 02-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If the power goes out the input will only drain to the grates on the overflow you have, not a drop more. I keep my water just above the grates on two of my tanks so in case of power outage only a small amount goes down to the sump. Since I have a check valve on the return line it also doesn't back siphon more than a few ounces at best.

Tags
10 gallon, build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com