Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2012, 11:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

110 Gallon First Build

Hey guys and gals this is our first salt build we got ourselves a 110 gallon 6' long and we have a few questions

1 can I just mix instant ocean mix with my tap water or do I have to go ro/di?

2. I am building a sump from a 30 gallon first section through a sock filter /next live rock /then into a section with the skimmer and return pump. My questions here are can I put my skimmer right inside the sump? And for my return pump I was gonna get a 1300 gph utility pump will this be enough gph or too much? And last do I drill the holes in my display tank on the lower back panel? I seen people do it on the bottom but this tank bottom is tempered and wouldn't it suck sand in? And one more do I need a flow valve on the intake side so it doesn't over fill my sump?

Old 02-22-2012, 11:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Tap water is a definate NO!

As for the rest, someone more qualified than I will have to answer that as I'm just starting a 125 gal FOWLR and have some of the same questions.

125gal FOWLR, 20L Sump w/LR and Skimmer, 20T Fuge w/DSB, Cheato, Pods and Algae Turf Scrubber
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'll glad answer
1. Nope treat it atleast if you were going with tap but you will probably have an algae break out in the future if you do.
2. The skimmer goes in the first section of your sump then a bubble trap then the section with liverock then the return pump section. 1300gph is good but it depends on the size of the holes you are going to to drill. So let's say 1" hole=600gph so if you drill two holes that's 1200gph going down to your sump. So you'll want a pump that's about 1600gph-1700gph because there is also headloss. Then you'll want to add a ball valve to the return section. So you can throttle your pump down if it's too much.You should drill the holes towards the top of the tank not the bottom and if the glass where you want to drill is tempered then you'll have to get an HOB overflow otherwise your tank will crack. I hope this answers all your questions
Old 02-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

How much water turn over should you have in a tank that size?

125gal FOWLR, 20L Sump w/LR and Skimmer, 20T Fuge w/DSB, Cheato, Pods and Algae Turf Scrubber
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

ok guys and gals here is my plan for the sump tell me what you think
Old 02-23-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

the skimmer needs to be in the first section before the return. the way you have it drown will send a ton of micro bubbles into the dt.
HPballer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPballer76
the skimmer needs to be in the first section before the return. the way you have it drown will send a ton of micro bubbles into the dt.
Ok let's say I put the skimmer in the first section and the bio in the last with the pump

And add another section of glass on the end before the pump will that reduce the micro bubbles?
Old 02-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah i would do over under over just before the return pump. what bio media are you talking about using? i would just have the main tank drain into a filter sock in the first section. have the skimmer and heater along with any other equipment you are going to use in the first section. the second section have your refugium and then just your return pump in the last section.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPballer76
yeah i would do over under over just before the return pump. what bio media are you talking about using? i would just have the main tank drain into a filter sock in the first section. have the skimmer and heater along with any other equipment you are going to use in the first section. the second section have your refugium and then just your return pump in the last section.
Ok took your advise and drew a new plan what do you think?
Old 02-23-2012, 10:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

looks good to me. only thing i'm not sure about is the check valves. someone else will have to answer on those but i don't have any on my tank.

Tags
10 gallon, build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com