110 start up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mountaindew

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am new to this size tank.I would like to know what things I will need to get started.Ive heard alot about skimmers,never used one before.How much sand and live rock needed.I know the more live rock the better for filtration.Lighting for fowlr and anything else you can tell me

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_cat.php?fldAuto=2/

Check a few of our articles out. I also like to recommend Robert Fenner's book, "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist".

I'd recommend about 2" to 3" sand bed and at least 125lbs of rock in that 110g tank. You'll get differnt opinions prolly, but you need to do some reading to decide what you really want to do. We'll help with the rest as you learn and decide some things.

Welcome to AA!! :smilecolros:

P.S. - don't give up on reef. It ain't that bad. :wink:

WELCOME TO AA!!

Please do not cycle with live animals. I just bought a 125G. I would suggest you taking a look at drsfosterandsmith.com. I bought 270LBS of sand, lighting, phs and a few other things. Shipping cost $15.99 (for 7 business day delivery). They don't charge extra for weight. All the other places I looked at would have charge anywhere from $60-100 for special handeling.
I don't have a skimmer on my 55G FOLWR, due to space, and things are going great. I am planning on one for my new tank, so I can learn more about them and also have the space.

WELCOME TO AA!!!!!!!!! before i give you my knowledge on your subject i would like to know

funds-
placement-
how long are you staying there-

i only ask this because witht hat size of a tank i dont want you to screw up

funds are around 2000.00.It is being placed on our enclosed porch in southwest florida and it is going to be here for a long while.Thanks to everyone for welcoming me to the site

$2,000 from scratch? Gotta get the tank and stand with that too?

The enclosed porch... will there be a lot of natural light in there? If so, algae battles may be a problem. Also figure on 8lbs per gallon of water, then throw in rocks, sand, equip, tank, stand, and you might be up to around 1,000lbs. Make sure that porch can handle it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom