110 stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barterking85

Aquarium Advice Addict
Now I am very new to this side but me and the wife are choosing our fish and building our first Sw tank the fish won't come for months yet until I make all the purchases and cycle the tank but here is what we came up with so far compatible or no?

Blue hippo tang
Yellow tang
2 Royal gramma
Pair Clownfish(maroon)
Porcupine puffer
Possibly 2 other interesting goby

So you must have a 180+ gal tank for all that to fit inside your tank.

You've got a few problems there..... and Terrance is correct about the 180. The Porcupine & Blue Hippo Tang can both reach 1' in length, so they need big tanks.

The Porcupine is generally considered peaceful with other tankmates, but with larger fish.... smaller fish like the clowns, gobies, and even a gramma at 3" can easily become a meal. "Porkies" also need a very specialized diet (read - expensive after a while) to keep their beaks in shape, and are VERY messy eaters...... requires excellent filtration and large, frequent water changes (be prepared to begin ordering bulk salt by freight). Think of these guys as saltwater Oscars.... They're cute & personable, but require some serious long term dedication to your tank.

If your looking at a standard 110 (48"x18"x30"), then the Yellow Tang is out as well.... tank's too short. If it's a 110 long, then you'd be OK.

It is a 110 long 6' I just love the porkies I am as dedicated as it gets but the salt for changes may be terribly expensive so let's say I leave out my favorite fish are the rest ok do I have room for more

No way thats way too harsh a yellow tang can easily fit in a 75 let alone a 110 and a blue tang is a 125 but the 110 may work but you will need good filtration and good water for him to survive in a 110 because hell already be under some stress and the only fish that looks like a problem is the porky thing because of the reasons stated above but may i suggest a cole tang or sumpthin like that instead of blue tang and also a small school of like 4-5 blue green chromis they look cool and lastly start looking into inverts like just a good 110cuc ex)2 emerald crabs,2 peppermint shrimp,a cleaner shrimp,like 7-8 blue leg hermits,like 6 turbo snails, like 4 sand snails(something like nasarius),and some stars along with any hitchikers---ps for a long time i was looking into getting a 110g but financial issues ruined it so good luck,pss expect to spend over 2,500$ just to set up!

Lol i love spending money I know it will be a load of cash looking into supplies now I have another thread going if anyone wants to help out

"looking to start a fowlr tank"

With the 110, the porkie & blue hippo are definitely out. Realistically, the Yellow tang should be excluded, as well. They can get upwards of 8" and need plenty of swimming room...... 110 is really pushing it.

Everything else looks good, and you can go with a few more, just keep them in the smaller range. A note on the gobies... make sure you see them being fed & eating at the store before you buy them.

I saw your other FOWLR thread, and about possibly going reef in a few years, so do your stock research carefully.... liveaquaria has a lot of good information regarding fish & reef compatibility.

Ok so revised list as follows
2 yellowtail damsel
2 clownfish(maroon)
2 purple firefish
2 royal gramma
Along with shrimp, snails ect...

How do you think the bio load will be? I don't want to pack the tank with fish but if I can comfortably fit a couple more I would consider

carey said:
How about a foxface? They are pretty cool and could be the centerpiece fish. :)

That's funny I was just looking at them drooling on liveaquaria thing is I want to go reef in a couple years and it says reef compatible with caution do you have any experience with them in a reef?

Nope, not me. The venom thing scares me. But they are awesome fish. But I have no idea what they would eat in a reef, corals or inverts. I have some with caution fish in my 90g and they are there because they eat snails and hermits.

ryan-peddle said:
Ok so revised list as follows
2 yellowtail damsel
2 clownfish(maroon)
2 purple firefish
2 royal gramma
Along with shrimp, snails ect...

How do you think the bio load will be? I don't want to pack the tank with fish but if I can comfortably fit a couple more I would consider

What do you think of this list?

Also might be an issue with those clowns, I do believe they are the nastiest of all clown fish. lol And the damsels are like that too. My firefish pretty much just hides in the rocks adn so did my gramma. Oh yeah, I also think 2 gramms might be an issue

carey said:
Also might be an issue with those clowns, I do believe they are the nastiest of all clown fish. lol And the damsels are like that too. My firefish pretty much just hides in the rocks adn so did my gramma. Oh yeah, I also think 2 gramms might be an issue

Ok well how would you stock it clowns I can go orange the damsels are a must so from there how would you go
Ps I hate triggers I think they are ugly IMO

There's so many options as far as fish. Do you have your eye on any particular ones? You can fit quite alot of fish in a 110g. :)

carey said:
There's so many options as far as fish. Do you have your eye on any particular ones? You can fit quite alot of fish in a 110g. :)

Well clowns and damsels are a must looking for reef compatible in a couple years time I will be going that way I like gobs and dragonettes but that will have to wait a few year till I get some copes going I like bright shock and awe fish I don't mind paying 40-50 dollars per fish

How about you give a couple options of what you would do including clowns damsels and firefish

If it were me with a new 110g I would get a tang no doubt. :) Not one of those monster tangs that get to over a foot but the smaller ones would be fine. I would then look at anthias, nice large colorful peaceful fish. I'd want a goby for the sandbed dweller and a blenny too. Midas blennies are yellow with bright blue eyes and they get along with everyone.
This link shows you on the left side of the screen what type of fish and you can go into each one and sort them by tank size and the ease of caring for one.

If you have a covered top I would also 100% get some wrasses. :-D

If you like the porc puffers look into a bird beak burrfish. They look very similar but don't get as big. They are nocturnal and they do nip a lot when other fish are asleep.

Back
Top Bottom