120 Long Tank! (Build Thread)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Clams are not low light or easy, and if your going to put corals in I'd keep the salinity above 1.023.

I might do a clam! MIGHT!

I will have a six lighting system . 2, 48in coral life T5 10,000k and 2 60in 10,000k lights and 2 60in actinic blue lights.

Shouldn't that be enough light for something? LoL

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

All t5ho? How deep is the tank? A general rule I would follow for clams is if you can't keep sps growing and thriving you shouldn't even consider a clam.

All T5 and 26in deep. I would be adding the 49in light on top of the 4 T5 lights I already have which is the 2 blues and 2 whites. I am also replacing all the bulbs being the ones I have are cheap ones.

Zoa's mushrooms, a lot of soft coral will be fine under those lights. and are great starter corals Research before adding anything to your tank.
More rock sure. make columns some of mine stick out of the water

All T5 and 26in deep. I would be adding the 49in light on top of the 4 T5 lights I already have which is the 2 blues and 2 whites. I am also replacing all the bulbs being the ones I have are cheap ones.

Yeah that's not gonna be enough for a clam, but should be fine for softies and lps

Thanks! What about a rose bubble tip anemone?

I want to get something for my clown to host. (Maybe, I know it's not 100%).

I was also thinking a frog spawn. Would that be fine in my tank?

So I should get the salinity to 1.23 and keep the temp at 76 degrees, right? How long should I wait now, being I had 3 fish out of no where die on me? One is still a mystery, one was ICH, and my puffer died but only had what I thought was sand. I guess it could have been ICH.

All of my other fish seem to be healthy and fine.

Imo 1.23 SG is a bit low for coral I keep mine at 1.24 so if i forget to top off the SG dont climb to high. A frog spawn will do good in your tank and there's a chance that the clown will host it.
Anemone are tough to keep until your tank settles in (about 1 year) If you decide to get one make sure that you can return it if need be.

Thanks! What about a rose bubble tip anemone?

I want to get something for my clown to host. (Maybe, I know it's not 100%).

I was also thinking a frog spawn. Would that be fine in my tank?

So I should get the salinity to 1.23 and keep the temp at 76 degrees, right? How long should I wait now, being I had 3 fish out of no where die on me? One is still a mystery, one was ICH, and my puffer died but only had what I thought was sand. I guess it could have been ICH.

All of my other fish seem to be healthy and fine.

Yeah for your tank is want an 8 bulb ho unit for the higher light sps/nems/clams, but the froggie would be a great choice (any of the euphies would), IMO you can make a beautiful tank with a bunch of different euphillia as a center piece and other lps and softies to fill in some rock space.

Edit: examples from a reef builders article
img_3022864_0_29f81260550080f060d7f9ed018bf5d0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3022864_1_d2c37051c248aaef781af0826eb95b88.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3022864_2_4b0fa5457a37240f47cebecf557fd38b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks! I will stick to a frogspawn! I just want something my clown can host (maybe, if he does)!

Yea, I need something to make my tank nice. LoL

Hey guys, just an update. I added coral! Not much, just some cheaper hardier ones to test out everything. I did get rid of my spiny sea urchin. He was just too big for my tank. I can see if I wanted to keep him, I would need at least a 220! So the fish could still have a ton of swim space without worrying about running into him.

So anyway, all I got is a toadstool and a few polyps. Anything I should look for? It's been only a day and my toadstool already opened up and so did my polyps! Is that good?
How long does it take for polyps to grow more? Will my toadstool get bigger? I know, lists of questions!

What should I watch for?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410722819.302568.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410722852.028361.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410722930.677410.jpg

Anyway, what kind if polyps are the ones I got? I guess I will need to start posting in the reef section now! LoL

Update:

I ended my saltwater adventure about three days ago. It was becoming too much with a new baby and than my well running dry. I had no real way to keep up with the tank. So I broke it down and sold my fish and coral. Good news my fish went to bigger tanks! So that makes me happy, and my coral went to better homes as well.

I will be starting again, but a few years from now. I got to get a place that runs on city water and not have to relay on a well. On the other hand I can do a sick big freshwater tank!

Takes me ten minutes to clean my 29 gallon and I don't have to worry about running out my well by trying to make 100's of gallons of RO water. All I need is a good 10 gallons and I am good! :p

Thanks for the update. Sad to hear that you broke the tank down. Life has that way of shifting priorities. Big tanks are cool, but they tend to take a lot more maintenance than something small, which can be just as gratifying.

Definitely keep something small just to get your hands wet every once in a while. Your little girl will love it as she grows.

I got my 29 planeted fresh water up. It's in my picture album if you want to see it. I am going to use my 120 for a fresh water. I always wanted Oscars and that tank will be big enough for at least two!

Fresh is easier, and I can keep up with it. Heck a water change alone would only take me a few minutes.

I am going to do a salt again, but I was thinking a tank that is round (custom) but not to big, maybe in the 40 gallon area. I want good LED reef lighting as well! I want to do it right the next time!

Back
Top Bottom