Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice FINatic

An update! I am getting the stand ready now, and it should be ready within 2 weeks. After that it's really just getting everything ready. I got my RO unit running and I am buying a trashcan with a bulkhead fitting so I can let it drip the water into it. As making 5 gallons each time sucks. Anyway!

I NEED HELP with my lighting!

The issue is my 120 gallon LONG tank. As it stands right now it's only going to be a FOWLR tank and the lighting I have really sucks. I thought what I would do is use the 48in LED strip I had gotten with the tank that I put on my 55 gallon. It lights my 55 gallon up very well. I than thought I would get a few of the LED light strips that you can just stick to the top of the canopy, and with both lights running on a test it looked very dim in the tank. :-( I want eye popping lighting for 60in worth of coverage!

What can I get? I was thinking of getting this unit and cutting the top of my canopy to to allow it to rest on top so it wouldn't over heat. It would be 7in above the water.

T5 Quad 60" Timer Aquarium Light Marine Coral Reef Cichlid LED 320W Odyssea | eBay

Combined with the 48in LED lighting I already have which is this/

BlueLine Products - Reef Aquarium Lighting & Pumps

I was told that that still wouldn't be enough to reach the lighting goals I wanted. So suggestions? My price point is $200 dollars! I am open to buying two 30in units or just one 60in unit. I just want a nice bright tank that my 55 displays now! I don't need coral lights!

If it helps the tank is 2.1 feet deep! If I were to cut open the hood to place the lighting on top it would sit 7 to 8in higher making the lighting have to reach 2.8 feet to the bottom.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:03 PM   #42
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

If this is only a FOWLR tank, then why don't you check out the marineland LED units? I think they come in 60 long.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:11 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

if you are going to spend the money on marinelands led lights, you mineaswell just toss a lil more in and buy some chinese leds IMO. you may say its just going to be a fowlr now, but theres a good chance down the road sometime that youll want to venture into corals.
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:02 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
if you are going to spend the money on marinelands led lights, you mineaswell just toss a lil more in and buy some chinese leds IMO. you may say its just going to be a fowlr now, but theres a good chance down the road sometime that youll want to venture into corals.
+ 1 Two over a 5 foot long tank will work fine.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:24 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't want to grow corals at all because than I would have to get rid of some of my fish that will eat the coral. I don't want to get rid of my puffer.

I am going to go with this!

T5 Quad 60" Timer Aquarium Light Marine Coral Reef Cichlid LED 320W Odyssea | eBay

I saw some videos of the 48in kind and they light up the tank and they were sitting high off the tank. So I am going to take a shot with it. Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 01-15-2014, 09:21 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice FINatic

An update! I am one step closer now! I got a 32 gallon clean rubber made trashcan to make R/O water in so I can now make more water without having to empty bucket after bucket of waste water being I extended the drain hose to a drain about 14 feet away. :-p

I am a little too happy with my engineering skills. LOL Glad to say nothing leaks! So Now I just got to fix the stand up and get the light installed and done! It will be ready for fill up within the middle of next month!
Old 01-15-2014, 09:24 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Good to see everything is going well! I think I'm going to do a similar RODI setup.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:41 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Three Months! Three months so far and I feel no where close to having this thing ready. :-p On the bright side I got the light in today! It's more than I hoped for! It's Awesome! Whoever told me this wouldn't be enough is severely lacking in knowledge! This is more than enough to light my tank! I don't think I need the LED 48in light strip I have as well. This one light is plenty! I like the fact the timer is built right into it and I can control the blue night time LED's! So I don't have to go from full light to full dark. I can go gradually.

I might replace one of the blues with a white light as I think its just too much blue, but I don't know! I am also not going to cut my hood like I was thinking to mount it. I am just going to cut some square vent holes on top where the fans are. That should be enough to allow the dissipation of any heat. So the Hood and Tank are finished. I just got to do a little touch up on the hood and tank, but that won't take me long! Plus I got to cut the vents I plan on putting on top to allow the heat from the lamp to vent out. So maybe a repaint, but it won't take me too long being I am done with it.

I got the hood and tank finished, now I just got to work on the stand. The issue is it's been SO COLD that I can not paint. If I could paint I would be done by now with the tank! Then it would just be the issue of getting everything together and transferring the fish.

It's brighter than in the pictures, trust me. :-p
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8703.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	218320   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7655.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	218321  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6445.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	218322  
Old 01-22-2014, 08:03 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

If your going to increase air flow to the fixture, consider cutting some small squares of heater filter material to prevent the fixture from filling with dust.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:30 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
If your going to increase air flow to the fixture, consider cutting some small squares of heater filter material to prevent the fixture from filling with dust.
+1. light bulbs + dust/moisture= broken tubes in tank. ...never good.

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, build thread, long, tan, tank, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com