Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #81
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd add another drain with them linked the single drain can plug. How much water will your sump hold?

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #82
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I will try the single drain for now, it's all I got. I want to get a bigger sump and switch to a Reef Sump someday, so the good news is that I can just buy new bulkheads and refit the HOB overflow. I know the sump is designed for 125 to 150 gallon tanks. So It's not what I would want forever, but it will work for the initial set up.

I want buy a drilled tank as my next tank, but that will require a better job, one I hope to have one day. I got this tank because it was used and cheap, so I can get my Yellow Tang, Yellow Eye tang, and the Luna Wrasse out of the 55.

It's a 120 LONG (5 foot long), and I might one day just upgrade to a bigger canister filter, as this will only be a FOWLR tank forever, and not a reef. Just not have a sump at all because the HOB overflows are not that great!

Old 02-23-2014, 09:27 PM   #83
Aquarium Advice Addict

HOB over flows get a bad rap because most dont take the time to tune the return pump, iv'e run mine for years and have never lost siphon. I would cap off one of those holes in the overflow it will make tuning the flow much easier.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:20 AM   #84
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sweet build! Looking forward to see the final outcome. I also have a 55 right now and can't wait to upgrade.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 02-24-2014, 08:30 PM   #85
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Grizz, I was thinking about another Idea.

Buy 4 bulkheads, and redo my HOB, and replace the bulkheads that I am going to be gluing with the new ones. Than, with the Wet/Dry I have too just drill a hole in the plastic the size of the bulkhead and screw it in, thus turning my one hole wet/dry into a two hole wet/dry. The difference between The one I have:

ESHOPPS | WD-125CS

and this one:

ESHOPPS | WD-150CS

Is literally the 2nd connection for the other hose. Any Plumbers out there that would recommend this? I don't see how it could really hurt, besides risking breaking the plastic to the sump. The other difference would be one hose would be off center while the other is center, besides that I wouldn't see a difference in the two.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:46 PM   #86
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Grizz

I just had an Idea! The difference in price between the two wet/dry is really just the extra bulkhead to the sump. So I can turn my 125CS into a 150CS with simply adding the bulkhead to the 125CS. So I am going to my local hardware shop and asking them to cut me the plastic to the same dimensions as the current plastic on top and adding the two holes to the new piece so they are pretty and symmetrical and not off center (LOL), and I am going to order another $5 dollar bulkhead. Thus, I will have the 150CS for less than I can buy it new being I got the 125CS used. It's so brilliant I amaze myself. HAHA J/K!
Old 02-25-2014, 07:32 AM   #87
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's what i would do Why waste the extra flow by chocking it with one drain.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:48 AM   #88
Aquarium Advice FINatic

120 Long Tank! (Build Thread)

Got it being done for around 20 bucks. I didn't think it would be hard to find a place that would cut some plastic for me but I had to go to three different places. They said "I can do it, but it will be a little thicker and a different color, will that be ok"? I said "it could be pink for all I care"! I don't think the extra thickness (which is not that much, like a hair more thick) will matter. He is also drilling the holes for me. So essentially I am upgrading my filter from the 125 to the 150 for 20 dollars. I got it used apart of the $600 dollar package I bought when I bought the tank .
Old 02-25-2014, 05:29 PM   #89
Aquarium Advice Addict

Awesome gotta love it when things come together

Old 02-28-2014, 12:25 AM   #90
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am pleased! I went from this: Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393561400.205908.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	225129

To this!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393561428.144904.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	225130

So I am basically just waiting for the new Bio-Balls and hoses to come in. I will than start the tank up and clean it out including the sump with the vinegar I got.

Tags
build, build thread, long, tan, tank, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com