125 FOWLR take 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
crister13 said:
It's still the same amount moving through the sump.... Idk. I don't really think it would be horrible but if it were me I would just put a ball valve on and throttle the pump back a bit. Jmo

Which would normally work for me but throttling a 2400 gph pump enough to not cause problems is prob gonna burn up the pump itself. Idk i am feeding 2 separate returns that each have 2 line lock jet nozzles. So thats 4 nozzles feeding from one return pump.

The drain lines are not permanent. They will be hardlined in as well. The extended piece on the t that comes out over the refugium isnt going to be there either, ill run 2 45's to bring the line from the pump over to the t.

Attachments

• image-1591608272.jpg
    image-1591608272.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 91
  • image-1099339664.jpg
    image-1099339664.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 85
  • image-979272304.jpg
    image-979272304.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 104
Well u usually want 5-10x overturn through the sump.... So I would say yeah too much.
i think standardized flow through the sump is outdated.

here is why:

the sump is a place for filtration. commonly a skimmer and live rock, even a refugium. first point is the skimmer. if you are blasting more flow through the sump than the skimmer can cycle through its self, whats the point? live rock doesnt care how much flow you have. refugiums are often a place for macro and pods. pods dont need killer flow either nor does macro.

im not saying this method doesnt work. it has for years. i just think some of the standards need to be updated as tech and practices do.

Im sure that my skimmer can handle some serious flow. Only 2 reasons im contemplating a mag 24 pump is because we have one at work that weve used on and off for utility duties over the past 1.5-2 years and i can get a killer deal. Plus i only have 2 koralia 750's for powerheads. If i run a mag 24 return pump, thatll be roughly 500-525 gph to each nozzle, or 1000-1050 gph to each side. That would give me a grand total of 3600 gph or 28.8x turnover... Which to me sounds amazing considering the first time around i was only at 900-1000 gph total (which isnt even 10x) i feel as though 29x turnover should help to curtail any excessive algae issues

If the flow for the mag 24 is too much you can get a longer hose so that the gph decreases because of headloss.

Care to explain?

sure,

plumb an out from the tank to the in of the mag 24 and then the out of the mag to the in of the tank. mag drives are submersible or external pumps. so you have options.

you still have a return pump for your sump. just not the mag 24.

it was just a thought. you only have so many holes pre-drilled in your tank. so really how you use them is up to you. because im running a herbie style overflow with my tank i had to run the return over the back of the tank with pvc. i dont mind the look but some may. if i was smart i would have had a hole drilled for a bulkhead before i put fish and water in it.

Yeah plumbing a return line up the back wont work because my stand is reinforced to the wall, so short of draining thw tank, moving it, installing the return line, theres no way i can plumb it. Kinda upset because thats something i wouldve prob done had it come up earlier

Short of the vertical plumbing that runs from the pump to the t-split, i got all the other return lines together and in. Used a flex line to connect the pump to the t-split, turned the pump on only to find leaks in about 4-5 spots (i cant cement them all together yet due to i havent gotten ahold of quick disconnects yet.) so hopefully tomorrow ill stop by the hardware store and pick up two quick disconnects.

Return lines are in, unions installed. Had some minor issues with the right side union ( was leaking, used silicone to seal it up). Still attempting to seal up a few minor leaks but for the most part its functional. Next project will be the drain lines.

Attachments

• image-3404277658.jpg
    image-3404277658.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 109
  • image-3599914632.jpg
    image-3599914632.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 97
Why is it that running the plumbing is always harder than expected ? Seriously though, it seems as though everytime i fix one tiny leak, another one starts. Now the drain lines are leaking slightly:(

Well went to help a buddy set up a newly purchased 180g setup. Got it into his basement and onto the stand, the new refugium a bit laid out under the tank. He got 7 fish included in the deal. A parrotfish, coral beauty, cowfish, hippo tang, desjardinii tang, foxface lo, and a maroon clown. He told me for driving an hour to help that i could have one fish (seeing as to how he didnt really want them) i of course asked for the desjar( being as to i REALLLLLY want one) no sooner did i take the lid off and he was dead:((( all in all, after about a 7 hour roadtrip, he lost the foxface, hippo, and desjar... Not too bad in my opinion

Got some great news!! Thanks to a newfound best friend, i have been able to make a deal for a mag 12 return pump, all its gonna cost me is some caulerpa. This means i can finally get my refugium up and running at 100%. ive been fiddling with the overflows and the height adjustments( it seems that even at full height, theres still decent waterflow noise. I was staring at it trying to figure out a way to quiet the sound a bit when i had a great idea.. I have an extra sheet of acrylic from building the refugium. Im gonna cut 2 pieces to fit over the overflows, thene drill a small hole for the air vent on the draintube. This sound muffle the sound enough. Ultimately id like to have it running as quiet as possible. (once i get the hardlines in for the drains it should be near silent)

Decided to get my skimmer some runtime overnight. After some subtle adjustments, it seems to be doing a great job already, naturally its not pulling out a dark green thick skimmate yet but evem after running overnight its darkening up. Heres a few pics. I also have a vid of the skimmer in action. Ill attempt to upload it but dont hate me if it doesnt work

Back
Top Bottom