125 FOWLR take 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
not really but they can eat inverts and they arent quite the open-water swimmer. usually stays back in the rockwork and peeks out. even so, i absolutely love mine and he even leaves the coral banded shrimp alone

oh almost forgot! called BRS earlier and they are shipping me a replacement pressure gauge. after unscrewing the current pressure gauge, i realized the gauge itself is leaking. so for now ill ues the old one until the new one arrives.
alright i need some help! slowly but surely getting closer and closer to the upgrade date. i am a HUGE fan of anemones (particularly the rose bubble-tip and the carpets) but does anyone know of some different or rare coloration morphs of either of those?

alright so here the stocklist as it sits.
2 BG chromis
1 snowflake clown
1 MaY clown
1 valentini puffer
1 Lt. tang
1 purple tang
dragon wrasse
sleeper banded goby
marine betta
royal gramma
mandarin
coral beauty
1 nessarius snail
AND 1 coral banded
. now I know that most would say that im plenty stocked now, but id like to add a yellow tang, and 1 more fish, then ill be content and feel like ive got it fully stocked. I though about adding another 2 or 3 chromis to get a school of roughly 5 but from what everyone has said about them randomly picking eachother off, I think ill stick with 2.
only guidelines I have is that it needs to be an bold swimmer, and has to be invert safe.... preferably a warmer color temp (orange yellow red)....3.2.1. go!
(the snipe, that aussie is def a possibility if I can find them)

Sleepers are awesome. Mine has a tendency to try and bury coral, but nonetheless, awesome.
ahh so glad to hear im not the only one.! watch him do it all the time. my revenge? i fill in his cave every once in awhile. i swear he gives me dirty looks everyday.

The carpet anemone can be a sticky subject, depending on what kind you end up getting. Some get HUGE. At Petco yesterday, they had one that was as big as my chest...totally ridiculous! That guy would be plucking my "nano" fish out of the water column. An exaggeration at a huge level...but you get the idea. Have you looked at the mini carpets? They come in some interesting color combos that I've seen on LA.

yeah ive been checking them out on LA but wasnt sure if anyone knew of some other variants that LA may not have. i really want to try and form the carpet as it grows out, dont know if i can or not but what i was thinking was buy one, set in down in a recess between 2 or 3 rocks and let it grow out up over the edges, want to get some decent creases in it as it grows. idk maybe it does that on its own lol

It depends. Some days mine is flattened out and other days it extends in a curled form. It is an odd bugger to say the least, lives in the sand but made sure the foot is hooked at an odd angle onto the rock.

coral beauty is doing great! decided (after some reading on the subject) to try vodka dosing. although I don't view vodka dosing as a permanent solution, ive never been able to get my trates down to 5 or so. my plan is to vodka dose till im down in the 5 trates range, then start uping the size of my pwc and slowly ramp down the vodka dosing. atleast that's the plan. our plan for upgrade 3.0 has been pushed back by a month or so. that being the case, I want to see if the trates level is whats causing these corals to not color up. granted I don't expect them to glow like they do under leds, but it would be nice to have some color in them. also I REALLY don't want to lose this torch coral I have.

vodka dosing is going great! .8mL a day for the next two days then I bump up to 1.3mL per day for a week.

oh and I tested for trates about 3 nights ago and came up with 40-45. so yeah I got a long way to go. but it seems as though the water itself is clearing up some. I feel like although im a good bit away from seeing nitrate/phosphate reduction, the effects of carbon dosing are starting to show up. heres to hoping it continues.

If it doesn't ramp to where you want it, maybe a large turf scrubber. Either way, vodka dosing is interesting stuff. Not something I can do...if it was rum I'd have the necessary components.

i may move to a turf scrubber, idk quite yet. I do know im going to wait till after I get my leds and controller so that way I can dial everything in together.
GOOD NEWS!!!! got a new tank inhabitant today, hes a bit of a risk considering our current stocklist but I really have high hopes for this one! will upload pics sometime tomorrow. gotta get to bed, took my son out for his first hibachi dinner, and im heading to a car show with the brother first thing tomorrow. busy weekend.

CRAP! forgot the pics! hmmm. anyways good news is in... the war has been won!! came home from work today and realized the purple tang and yellow tang were being civil. so I watched them for a bit. only thing the purple does now is occasionally swim over to the yellow and stare him down for a sec. the constant chasing and body touching has stopped!!! im soo excited! all ive wanted since I got the purple tang was this combo and it seems I finally was able to pull it off.

thank you Carey:) I really feel it was the tank size that allowed me to get away with it. had there not been all that room, the Yellow wouldn't have been able to get outta sight of the purple.

Too bad brent sorry to hear I'm looking to buy one of them and an achilles. Was it hard to keep or do they eat well?

Back
Top Bottom