125 FOWLR take 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sorry this is over a year old, but the tank is still up and running. ive been on a huge hiatus from the forums and admitedly have not taken care of my tank. i went down a wavemaker and the algae took over... im currently trying to nurse it back to health. all the fish are doing great though:) will need to clean it up and get some photos.

I'm glad to hear the fish are doing well! I know how you feel about algae and spending less time on the tank, I have been there myself too, it happens. :) I will look forward to the upcoming photos! :)

yeah i def slacked off Red, our daughter is due April 26th so ive been swamped with getting the house ready and everything. admittedly the tank has suffered.
Hank- the purple is doing amazing, the all out territory wars that were common with the yellow tang at first have long since subsided... now all ive noticed is that the purple and yellow go back and forth with what seems like a fun game of chase when i add anything to the tank (invert, food ) they are both the same size and they eat peacefully together, heck 3/4 of the time they are crusing the tank together. still have 4 clowns. 2 ocellaris and 2 maroons, even have a marine betta grouper and 2 skunk cleaners.... go figure. i will admit though, watching the shrimp try to fight the nem for its food is funny.

It's great to hear that everyone is getting along well. That's cool about the two pairs of Clowns getting along, the Tangs too. (y) Congrats on your daughter!

yeah theres a few odd pairs in our tank lol. and thank you Red. so some quick updates as well on other happenings with the tank in the past year. the 120w led panels have been doing good for the most part with the exception of one panel, for some reason the lenses on the blues started to melt and distort. i decided to open all the units up and vacuum them out real good. so far they have been holding steady. i was running 2 Jabeo wp40's, both quit on me, i got fish-street to semi-honor 1 warranty buy graciously allowing me to buy a replacement motor for $15 (here my sarcasm??) so i finally broke down and ordered a wp10 the other day, heres to hoping that it doesnt crap out on me in less than a year. if it does.... im buying Vortechs...screw it. also i was running 2 marineland visa-therm 200w heaters... they as well seemed to be creating problems... so i swapped one out for a finnex 500w titanium heater. havent had any heating issues since haha. also the double-bulb t5ho refugium light took a crap on me. which is a shame because i was finally happy to have a respectable fixture on my refugium.... until it burned up. i think its safe to say i havent had the best of luck with equipment. i really need to spend a few days to get the tank cleaned up so i can upload photos.

Look into hydroponics LEDs for your refugium. I just put two on my DIY ATS project. Really bright.
thank you for the suggestion. i need to figure something out. i ordered a wp10 the other day, its looking like it ill be delivered today. (couldnt remember if i mentioned that) im gradually getting everything back in shape. my next step after getting the new wavemaker in is to syphon off as much algae as i can and do a water change:)

Good old water changes. I can't wait to get mine back into the ro/di club. Who would have known getting married would mean the kitchen would be reclaimed? Who needs a sink to cook and do dishes? I didn't...

Good old water changes. I can't wait to get mine back into the ro/di club. Who would have known getting married would mean the kitchen would be reclaimed? Who needs a sink to cook and do dishes? I didn't...

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::D

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Haha yeah I thought kitchens were for fish food making and rodi units. The wp10 came in yesterday. Lets just say this lil thing is tiny compared to the wp40... Absolutely tiny. But nevertheless its in and running. Hopefully it'll help pull up and kill off the algae. Also hopefully got my controller fixed so that its automating the lights again (hopefully) was gonna redo all the wiring but I need to move the tank in a month or two for new carpeting?

Boo carpet!
But, in reference to your algae issue I have a thought that might help you out. I have been watching some of melev's stuff on youtube and in one of his videos he discusses algae battles. Now, I'm not going to fully agree with him on the need for all the snails and such...I was interested in how easily it came out of his tank! How did he accomplish this? A product called phosphateRX. It murders down the phosphate levels which weakens the algae...he appears to like it better than GFO and such, but I'm not here to judge that bit but say it might be an option in your case to bring a FOWLR system down to 0. Check it out.

I def will do!! Also its worth mentioning that I do have a single chamber brs gfo reactor installed, just not running. So I could fill it and get it going.

Going ok. The algae has resided some but we just welcomed our baby daughter to the world last night. So its been hectic

Gratz, and understandable. Hope all goes well. Get some sleep buddy.
Is aqua world a nice store? It's near my sisters and I'm in town for the marathon.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sniper, its not a very visually clean store, but the ownership is knowledgeable and their SW coral setups are nice. And thank you both? good bye comfy sleep and hello 3 hour power naps

Back
Top Bottom