125 FOWLR take 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i really cant speak as to their ease (or difficulty) of keeping, mainly because ive only had experience with 1. but i can say that i bought mine from LA when they were on sale (still are on sale, just not as low as when i got mine) and he took to pellets/frozen/ algae sheets as as easily as any other fish i have. he ate constantly and never turned food away. only thing i noticed is that purples tend to be a bit on the aggressive side when it coems to that family of tangs. as for the achilles, i would personally avoid them unless you have a larger tank, 200g+) thats very well established.

WTH?!? my loely wife decides to up and call me and say "OMG hun, false alarm. the purple tang isnt dead, it was a piece of purple algae i seen laying on the bottom"........ WTH?!?!?
i must admit that you do have to contort your head to actually look down into the refugium, but still... ugh this hobby is stressful

agreed lol. although i must admit she has come a very long way since we got the tank. ill even catch her on occasion browsing the LA site looking at fish. we are actually heading to our LFS on friday to hopefully pick out the final fish

Great news! Wife's done that to me as well. The ups and downs... Glad he's good tho!

hes not out of the weeds yet, when i woke up that morning and noticed him losing bouyancy, i felt the water, it was pretty cold. so i tossed him into the DT refugium because i had to leave for work. i watched him for a bit last night and hes still hiding in a lil cave he found and seems to be stable. jsut isnt eating like he normally does. but i figured thats due to the stress of the moves. thought about jsut putting him back into the DT but that would only make matters worse. good news though!!!1 as it sits right now, i should be ordering my leds AND the apex lite on monday!!! way too excited!!!

chinese 120w. i went back and forth between radions, Ai's, and the chinese lights. came down to the fact that this 125 isnt my final setup that im aiming for. within the next year to 2 years we will be moving into a bigger house. at which point ill be moving up to a 300-400g tank. thats when ill be buying radions and all the fancy equipment.

thinking about ordering 1-2 fixtures tonight. being that its Friday evening I don't know if ordering now will really save me much time versus ordering on Monday. plus if I can convince myself to wait till Monday, I should be able to order the lights, controller, and another wp40

fish day was a bust. didn't see anything that really stood out except a decent yellow-belly regal tang..... but considering we have 3 tangs already that was a no. also because we have a coral banded shrimp, we cant get other shrimp...(wth) so now we have to decide if we want to just keep the coral banded or move him and get other shrimp. leaning towards moving the coral banded into the refugium until we get a nano tank started. because we want to add 2-3 cleaner shrimp into the tank. decisions decisions. oh not to mention next weekend is prob going to be a weekend full of tank work.... ill need to make a few trips to HD and get the necessary wood to build my freestanding canopies (one small one for each fixture) also I came up with a what I feel is a exceptionally well-thought out canopy design that will hide the power cables. heck I may start building the canopies this weekend....who knows. going to hit up another lfs and see if we come home with anything.

project LED is underway! got the frames built (minus the led panel braces) and put the first coat of stain on them!
1911971_10202998772836461_1326380417_n.jpg

Looks like a good beginning. :) You guys always shock me with how good you all are with do it yourself stuff. lol

heres a pic to show the hinges, however they are being swapped out mainly because they dont allow the frames to sit flush against the wall brace.
1779320_10202998773356474_1790701945_n.jpg

third pic is with one screwed to the wall brace.
1800392_10202998773596480_1926531817_n.jpg

I need to stop at the hardware store tomorrow night and pick up new hinges, then i have to drill a hole in the back board of each frame to run the cables through. attempting to a completely 100% wireless look to the tank. so that way when im sitting on my couch across the room, there wont be any wires visible.
tomorrow is going to be a huge day! once i get home im going to put another coat of poly stain on the pieces, also im hoping that i can order my controller and led panels tomorrow while im at work. ive already designated next weekend as a strictly "fish tank update" weekend! oh and i may order another wp40...not sure.

thank you Carey and Keith:) im lucky enough to have access to almost any tool i need whenever i need it, so that always helps. ordered my second WP40 from fish-street, curently trying to work out some sort of deal with Aquacave on my apex controller and a few ad-ons (customer service testing lol), and i tried to order my lights on ebay but im having card issues for some reason... either way i should have everything ordered within the next few hours.,

3 120W led panels, Neptune Apex lite + standard ph probe, 200g box of salt, and jebao wp40 have all been ordered. best part? everything is coming from a different place lol. im going to have a hailstorm of boxes showing up over the next week lol

snipe? im slightly confused by that first sentence. could you clarify? lol and Keith the hardest part is waiting (like a mature adult) when you know you have presents coming in lol

Back
Top Bottom