Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-17-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

125g FOWLR build thread (First time SW!)

I recently bought a 125g tank, filtration system, stand, and lighting system from an old aquarist on CL. So far I have the stand and filtration, but I'm not picking up the tank until Wednesday.
The guy I bought it from gave me two five gallon buckets of live rock and one bucket of sand for free. The LR has a lot of nice corraline algae on it. Good stuff.
The filtration system I got is awesome as well, about a 40g sump system with protein skimmer and refug
I went out today and picked up three bags of play sand. Home depot didn't have any PFS, but I've used this particular sand in the past and it's worked fine. I also got a twenty pound bag of black sand. I think with the black sand and aragonite sand mixed in it will look pretty natural.
I also bought enough salt mix for 150g, which will hopefully be enough for the sump and main tank.
I'm going to definitely buy some base rock but I'm not sure how much yet, I'll have to decide once I get the tank and the rock I have now into it.
I'm going to have to build a canopy to house the lighting system. The guy that had the tank before me had it hooked to the cieling, and our ceiling is slanted so it won't work. It will also keep the cats out, so that's a plus haha.

Here's my tenative fish list, please let me know if you think it's overstocked or incompatable or anything
Picasso Trigger
Harlequin Tusk
Horseshoe Crab
Seargent Major Damelfish (x2-3?)
Yellow Goatfish
Tang (x2)

If you have any suggestions for tangs I'd love to hear them! I haven't decided on what kind I want.
Also if you know of any large or dwarf angelfish that would work that would be awesome as well

I'll upload pictures of everything I have so far tomorrow morning, and then more on Wednesday after I pick up the tank.
I'm going to take this very slowly since this will be my first SW tank. Go big or go home, right?

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-20-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Picked up the tank yesterday in Gastonia so now I (hopefully) have everything I need to get started

Live rock in five gallon buckets. I've got some really nice pieces in there but I am going to need to get more, most likely dry tonga branch.

The cherry stand and lighting system

And the tank that's in the process of being filled with sand.

I'll upload more as I continue the build!

Also a reminder that any fish suggestions would be loved!

Old 10-20-2011, 11:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well I have all my sand in the tank. I actually probably put too much. I wanted to go with a medium sandbed at around 3" deep, but at the moment it's probably 4"
I also got all my plumbing done today as well. Definitely been a full day of work on it (washing sand alone took HOURS. The joys of using play sand)
The sand is pretty interesting looking since I added the 20lbs bag of black sand. It's kind of salt&pepper looking. It's definitly going to look lighter when I get the metal halides over it but I still think it'll make the fish and rock "pop"

My mom kind of dropped a bombshell though. She wants it to be a reef tank, but she can't quite seem to understand that you can't put just any fish in a reef. She's even threatening to put fake corals in it and I really don't want that. I'll try to convince her that FOWLR is the way to go since it's our (I say our only because she's paying for some of it lol) first SW tank. Maybe I'll just get a 30gallon tank to turn into a reef for her as a surprise. But I wouldn't be shocked if she forces me to make this a reef tank. Not a problem for me as long as she's paying haha!

I'll upload more pics tomorrow. I've sketched out an eventual aquascape that I'll put up as well. I've probably got 20-30lbs of live rock so I will definitely be on the lookout for some great dry rock. And I need to pick up some LR rubble for the sumppp. So much to do!
Old 10-25-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here are some new pictures. It's cycling right now, hopefully it will be quick, I can't wait to get some fish in it!

Filling it up with water, with the original free LR

Full tank shot. The right side of the tank is pretty much done, although I'd like to get some more branched pieces for some height. The left side is going to be some shelf pieces and branch. I'm only keeping some dead corals from my collection of fossils over there right now. I think it looks nice so far, seeing as I didn't pay for any of the rock hehe :>
Old 10-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

woops, double post. That first picture was supposed to be this
Old 10-25-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Looks great so far! keep the updates coming
Old 10-25-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks awesome. What lights are you going with?
Old 10-25-2011, 03:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looking good. I am watching this one. If it were me, I would listen to Mom. After all, Mom is always right. Besides, reef tanks are so pretty if done right. Good luck and keep the pics coming.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kio707 View Post
Looks awesome. What lights are you going with?
I have a metal halide set up, I need to get started on a canopy to house them.
I'll probably just get some sturdy wood blocks to set it on the tank until I can get a canopy finished.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sergeant majors are pretty aggressive! My teacher has a huge one that killed a stingray. I have a small one though and he's pretty cool. Make sure to add him last.

Tags
1.5g, build, build thread, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com