135 Stocking Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indigobluetc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK so I am now looking for some new fish for my 135, kinda a big tank for a Lion, damsel, choc chip star, green spot puffer. So I need some fish that would be good with my lion and such, I dont really care if they will eat the damsel or not. I have been thinking of the following ones:
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Flame Angelfish
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Snowflake Eel
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Honeycomb Puffer
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+44+265&pcatid=265
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Cat Shark, Black Banded
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1379+1151&pcatid=1151
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1379+346&pcatid=346

Maybe not all of them but deff some of them! SO I need some advice here. I know I can not do any cleaner type guys cause of lion but I dont mind cleaning the tank myself.. SO what do all of you think would be a good combo?

The snowflake eel would be fine and perhaps the lunar wrasse. You can also look into klunzingeri wrasse, large angels, and tangs. The flame angel is a potential/eventual meal as are either puffers. The shark is a definite no. Undulated triggers are very aggressive so if a trigger is a must, search for a planktivore.

Just curious, why is the shark a no and also whats wrong with the trigger? I have a puffer in there now and its smaller then the silversides I feed and he has never showed any interest in him

Most sharks are not suitable for home aquaria since the smaller and more obtainable still can achieve a 3' length. Home aquariums have horrible dimmensions in allowance of their swimming behaviors so a custom tank would be recommended. I would not put any eventual 3' shark in anything under 2000g and even that is questionable in my eyes. Triggers have been known to be overly aggressive towards lionfish, often biting the tips of their fins leading to bacterial infections. It just so happens the trigger you are interested in is one of the most aggressive available. I am assuming you have a volitans and the rule of thumb is, if it will fit in their mouth eventually it will be in it.

try some large angels they look splendid and they give off great color in the tank although i would warn about corals if you plan to have any in the future.

some butterfly fish wouldnt be bad either maybe a longnosed butterfly or a copperband butterfly.

if you plan to get an eel make sure you have a lid because they are jumpers and have no problem ending up on the floor of your house.

any tang would be nice, they add personality and color to the tank so i would look into those as well. maybe a purple tang or an achilles tang.

i honestly think a trigger would go well in your tank. a niger trigger or a hawaiian black trigger would look splendid.

I loved my snowflake eel. I had him for omost 2yrs. and he jumped through the filter..He was stressed b/c I moved and he did that 2 days after. I omost want to get another one, they grow fast and are very cool things. Very friendly too. A trigger will eat your starfish

Will a stars and stripes puffer be ok with a lion? My lion is chasing it every once and a while, will the stop or should I do something about it? I mean the puffer is by far to big to eat.

It may or it may not. Don't you just love those informative answers? Newly introduced fish are typically picked on until territory can be established. Both can do damage to one another, but if you have ample structures it'll provide a visual/physical barrier between the two. Leave them be unless their trials escalate to where you think physical damage may occur.

Well I have a bunch of that plastic square hole shelfing that i used to make a divider for the time being? Good or no?

Hmmm, I'm guessing what you are asking is if making a physical barrier from eggcrate will help in keeping the two from hurting each other? If so, my comment of visual/physical barriers was meant in allowing each other to escape around structures (liverock, etc) when need be. Completely separating the two just prolongs the eventual territorial standoff. Hope I understood your last question correctly...

After I read your post above I took out the eggcrate and they were fine.. No more chasing.. They eat side by side now.. Good news. And my new snowflake seems to be doing just fine as well!

Back
Top Bottom