Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-15-2005, 11:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

180g fish only

they guy next door to me is trying to sell me an empty 180g tank 72x24x24 with stand,lid and a big canister filter for like 200 bucks the thing i was bothered about is in a tank that big with out a sump am i gonna have water issues i would run 3 aquaclear 500's and a hang on skimmer and not the canister and it would be home to 2 or 3 7" groupers,1 yellow tang,domino damsil,foxfaceand a snowflake eel and im shure a puffer would find a new home

or would i be better to just get a tank built with a sump and 2 overflows for close to 3 times the price

Old 09-15-2005, 12:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I live in Calgary as well, so if you dont want it i will take it!

Thats a smoking deal. I would go for that and just invest in some good equipment for it.

Steve

Old 09-15-2005, 09:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

i think its only that cheep for me im gonna buy it anyway just dont know if i should use it for that or set up a freshwater tank in my basement

since you have a ministry avatar dose that make you a dj. i happen to be one but ministry is a little too much love songs for me im into hardhouse,nrg type stuff
Old 09-17-2005, 05:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sumps are overated IMO. The experts write that their purpose is for more water volume........(so get a bigger tank), that you can hide your skimmer......(HOB skimmers are not that noticable), that you can hide you heater.......(again not that noticable in the tank plus I never use mine anyway since the lighting heats my tank anyway)and that you can get a "better skimmer".........(many HOB skimmer perform just as well). IMO sumps are an accident waiting to happen. I've done everything HOB and everything has performed flawlessly. Why........because along with decent equipment that I have (and I don't have to worry is going to spill on my floor), I do routine maintenance. You can have the best of everything in equipment and it doesn't mean squat if you don't do maintenance. Lots of people spend a lot of money on equipment and gadgets that they think will lower their need to get off their butts and do maintennance. You can't be lazy in this hobby. Again, IMO, sumps mean more money/more equipment, more needless maintenance, more potential for problems, not less. Trust me..........the fish don't shiv a ghit if you've got a Remora or ASM skimmer as long as what you have does what it is supposed to do and you practice good aquarium husbandry................just my opinion. 8)
Old 09-17-2005, 10:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Good advice don424. KUDOS to that.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:44 AM   #6

Thanks.........I needed to get that off my chest. There's alot of VOODOO in this hobby and alot of people spending money needlessly.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:53 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

well i ended up buyin the tank but its a 72x18x24 so i think thats 130g or so still bigger than the 67g i have the fish im movin into it then i can get my qt back for qt reasons 2 aquaclear 110's a pryzm skimmer should do ok
after downgrading too 2 67g tanks instead of my old 150 i think aquaclear 110's are doing a way better job than my old sump did anyway so thanks for backing my thoughts up now i hope my wife dosent kill me
Old 09-18-2005, 04:08 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
all I am going to say for now, is that you need to re-think your fish list. What you have listed in your first post, is not appropriate for what you have.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:05 AM   #9

I agree with Hara...................you should rethink the wish list for the fish. Paticularly the grouper.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:12 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like a smoking deal...go for it. As for the sump, I hardly consider them Voodoo. They truely do have their advantages. Whether or not you use is totally personal preference. When proper precautions are taken they will not overflow. When used properly, sumps are a great addition to any SW tank.

Tags
fish only

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com