180g fish only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

i have crabs

Aquarium Advice Freak
they guy next door to me is trying to sell me an empty 180g tank 72x24x24 with stand,lid and a big canister filter for like 200 bucks the thing i was bothered about is in a tank that big with out a sump am i gonna have water issues i would run 3 aquaclear 500's and a hang on skimmer and not the canister and it would be home to 2 or 3 7" groupers,1 yellow tang,domino damsil,foxfaceand a snowflake eel and im shure a puffer would find a new home

or would i be better to just get a tank built with a sump and 2 overflows for close to 3 times the price

I live in Calgary as well, so if you dont want it i will take it!

Thats a smoking deal. I would go for that and just invest in some good equipment for it.

Steve

i think its only that cheep for me im gonna buy it anyway just dont know if i should use it for that or set up a freshwater tank in my basement

since you have a ministry avatar dose that make you a dj. i happen to be one but ministry is a little too much love songs for me im into hardhouse,nrg type stuff

Sumps are overated IMO. The experts write that their purpose is for more water volume........(so get a bigger tank), that you can hide your skimmer......(HOB skimmers are not that noticable), that you can hide you heater.......(again not that noticable in the tank plus I never use mine anyway since the lighting heats my tank anyway)and that you can get a "better skimmer".........(many HOB skimmer perform just as well). IMO sumps are an accident waiting to happen. I've done everything HOB and everything has performed flawlessly. Why........because along with decent equipment that I have (and I don't have to worry is going to spill on my floor), I do routine maintenance. You can have the best of everything in equipment and it doesn't mean squat if you don't do maintenance. Lots of people spend a lot of money on equipment and gadgets that they think will lower their need to get off their butts and do maintennance. You can't be lazy in this hobby. Again, IMO, sumps mean more money/more equipment, more needless maintenance, more potential for problems, not less. Trust me..........the fish don't shiv a ghit if you've got a Remora or ASM skimmer as long as what you have does what it is supposed to do and you practice good aquarium husbandry................just my opinion. 8)

Thanks.........I needed to get that off my chest. There's alot of VOODOO in this hobby and alot of people spending money needlessly.

well i ended up buyin the tank but its a 72x18x24 so i think thats 130g or so still bigger than the 67g i have the fish im movin into it then i can get my qt back for qt reasons 2 aquaclear 110's a pryzm skimmer should do ok
after downgrading too 2 67g tanks instead of my old 150 i think aquaclear 110's are doing a way better job than my old sump did anyway so thanks for backing my thoughts up now i hope my wife dosent kill me :roll:

all I am going to say for now, is that you need to re-think your fish list. What you have listed in your first post, is not appropriate for what you have.

I agree with Hara...................you should rethink the wish list for the fish. Paticularly the grouper. :)

Sounds like a smoking deal...go for it. As for the sump, I hardly consider them Voodoo. They truely do have their advantages. Whether or not you use is totally personal preference. When proper precautions are taken they will not overflow. When used properly, sumps are a great addition to any SW tank.

i agree with lando. i have 2 tanks with sumps on both and they are great. I drilled the back of both tanks and used bulkheads and have never had anything close to a flood.
We all have heard horror stories about the overflow boxes, but if set up right they work very well also.
No matter which way you go that is one great deal...

I love my sump and the way it is set up there is no way it could overflow. In fact I kill power to it every time I feed so I do not pull food into my filter. Most of my circulation is from closed loop so it does not make a big difference in the tank other than the water level dropping 2 inches.

Sump or no sump he got a smoking deal on a tank that he can enjoy the hobby with. Man whatever you do with it I hope you have a good time, and remember even though sometimes it seems like a pain in the end its worth it.

Back
Top Bottom