Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-11-2006, 02:57 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Would four 110 watt VHO's (totaling 440 watts) be as bright as one 400 watt metal halide? No.
A 400 watt would be brighter than even six 110 watt VHO's. For they are still only 110 watts each!

This is what's probably confusing you Oldfishhead. Stick with the 2+2=4. What kinda light you targeting? i'm thinking somethng in the 150w total range might work. PCs or T-5s maybe.

BTW, who's yelling? What defensive posture?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:00 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Quote:
Originally Posted by afishyonados
There you go again, defensive posture and yelling. I'm starting to worry about this.
If you have an issue with an individual, take it to private messages, do not hijack a post to do so.
Thanks.

As far as figuring out total watts per gallon Oldfishead, indeed, add all the watts together, divide by your tank size. When you feel comfortable with that, we can go into the rather confusing data and info about par and the different types of lighting that is available.

Old 10-11-2006, 03:10 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Lighting is not as simple as 25 + 25 = 50. Although we all really wish it would be. Watts is a measure of power consumption not light intensity. A 25W lamp will consume 25W of power over a specific time period. I dont know if its an hour or what that time period is. Two 25W bulbs will consume 25 X 2 or 50W of power over that time period.

This does not mean the total output of the two bulbs is twice that of a single bulb. The intensity will be higher with two bulbs but it wont nessicarly equal that of a single 50W bulb if we continue with our example.

Par is a measure of light intensity. Once you compare PAR output of the same type of bulb and two different wattages you also have to look at the output specitrum. IE the color of the light. You can have two bulbs but one is older than the other. As the bulb ages its PAR may not tail off as much as its desirable specitrum.

You go into even more issues when you look at differnt types of bulbs. Standard incadecent vs florecent vs high output florecent vs compact florecent vs Metal halide.

So the basic answer is 2 X 2 may = 4 but does not mean you will have the same results you would have if you used just one 4 to begin with. IE 4 X 1 = 4

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:12 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Bet they're confused again now....
Old 10-11-2006, 03:28 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry Hara.

I only wanted a drink of water.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:48 PM   #16

Let me ask this question then. Say you have a 50 inch long tank. On each side you have a 25 watt bulb. On the bottom you have corals, plants, whatever. Would the two 25 watt bulbs on each side be better than the one 50 watt bulb in the middle?
Old 10-11-2006, 03:53 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I am sending you a PM aquarius so as not to confuse the OP further. Explanation forthcoming.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:55 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

The 50 watt would provide more intensity. With the appropriate reflector, it could throw a 36" light pattern.
The 25 watts would still only be 25 watts.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:02 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry to add to the confusion.
Oldfishead, austinsdad is correct. About 150 watts total light would be good for keeping most regularly available corals. Investigate the T-5 lights or the PC's.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:39 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Str8Emulated Send a message via Yahoo to Str8Emulated
I saw this, and figured I could add a question in with it (hope no one minds). Would 400 watts of metal halide be the same as 400 watts of PC? In the same aspect, would the 400 watts of VHO or T-5's all be the same? If I have a 120 gallon tank, and I want 8 WPG (I'm closer to 8.5, but I want to downsize the 2-400 watt metal halides for power bill reasons), can I get the same coral growth results with just T-5's or VHO's (I'm not too fond of PCs) and not worry about running the metal halides?

I currently have 2-400 watt 20k MH, 1-54 watt pure actinic T-5, 1-54 watt actinic plus T-5, and 2-39 watt pure actinic T-5's, with this rig, can I take out the 2 MH's, and add in 800 watts of T-5's or VHO's, and get the same results?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com