2 Clownfish & Which Puffer ? Dogface or Porcupine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rx330

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 clownfish that got introduced into my tank a week ago together. They along with a pink spotted watchmen goby, are the only 3 fish in my 54g tank.

I want a pufferfish, particularly porcupine, but I am afraid that the porcupine might harrass the clowns. I would consider a dogface if they are less aggressive than porcupines, but could use some advice here.

Can a small porcupine puffer (or the dogface), be ok with the 2 clowns ?

All feedback and opinions are greatly appreciated from those who know and have more experience than me.

unfortunately, a 54g tank is not big enough for either. Some websites will list them as only needing 50g or so but it is way too low. Both of those puffer species require at minimum a 100 gallon tank with plenty of room for swimming.

Even if you did buy him really really small, he will eventually outgrow your tank. Plus they can become very aggressive, especially when in smaller tanks with more fish competing for food.

We decided on the dog face puffer, which we bought from a friend who owns a LFS. They have all been all living peacefully in the tank for the past week. We do feed the puffer first, by hand (actually tongs) and then the goby. The 2 clowns actually are very funny, and just grabbing the scraps. Noone is fighting, and the puffer is defnitely the tog dog...ha ha.
We are training the puffer to hand feed, so we don't have any fighting for food.

The puffer right now is approx 3 inches, and thier is a ton of room in the tank, all the LR is very low to the bottom, maybe 6 inches high.

thanks again for the advice.

What advice, its not like you listened. That fish will stay small but its internal organs will continue to grow. It will eventually die if kept in that tank for more then an extremely short time.

Congratulations.

cut him some slack. He will learn the hard way as I did. I had a small porcupine and a few other fish and everything seemed fine. For a long time all fish got along very well but i was not able to bring in new fish. the puffer was very aggressive and territorial to any new fish and outgrew the tank. I had to give him away.

What kind of slack is that! :) Or is that what they call "beating around the bush"! lol

Why would I cut him slack? He asked a question, didn't get an answer he liked, and then did it anyway. Unfortunately, him learning the "hard way" will eventually end in dead or maimed animals.
You being through it, would you do it the same way now? I sure hope not, sounds like you ended up with some dead or beaten fish. Thats what AA is for, to spread knowledge and prevent things like this from happening. It's a shame we can't prevent absence of common sense and decency.

I never thought puffers were compatible with smaller fish like that. I've read they are quite aggressive and will nip at fins. Regardless, good luck with your new fish. Hope everything works out. Enjoy!

A dog face's adult size is 16". Go figure...........enough said!

Back
Top Bottom