2 spot goby... How difficult?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
How hard are these fish to have them thrive? Are they as finicky as, say, a Mandarin Goby? Would like to get one, but am slightly hesitant....

image-1205066760.jpg

Liveaquaria says "Difficult", but say that they will eat frozen food, which is what the Mandarin is usually notorious for not doing (in MOST cases)...

How hard are these fish to have them thrive? Are they as finicky as, say, a Mandarin Goby? Would like to get one, but am slightly hesitant....

Liveaquaria says "Difficult", but say that they will eat frozen food, which is what the Mandarin is usually notorious for not doing (in MOST cases)...

Yeah i was llooking into one for my 37g reef and yes they are pretty difficult around mandarins, do you have a sump? And refuge? What size tank?

Those guys can be troublesome to keep, they feed off of fauna in the sand bed. :-( An established tank, at least a year old would be my thoughts.....

I also have wanted one of these guys for a long time, just havent been up to the task as far as a food source for him.

Those guys can be troublesome to keep, they feed off of fauna in the sand bed. :-( An established tank, at least a year old would be my thoughts.....

I also have wanted one of these guys for a long time, just havent been up to the task as far as a food source for him.

What! That fish must be impossible to keep if you cant keep it lol

Yeah i was llooking into one for my 37g reef and yes they are pretty difficult around mandarins, do you have a sump? And refuge? What size tank?

No sump. 40 breeder, plenty of live rock. No fuge. Was going to mod an AC110 however... And I don't have a mandarin to be clear... I didn't know how you meat "difficult around mandarins"...?

My LFS said they would keep one there until I was ready... And then asked if I had phytoplankton for my tank to help sustain food for the pod population. (I suppose this could be a new thread on its own)...

No sump. 40 breeder, plenty of live rock. No fuge. Was going to mod an AC110 however... And I don't have a mandarin to be clear... I didn't know how you meat "difficult around mandarins"...?

I wanst going to get one... I meant they are in that range with feeding habits

I tried a mandarin once but had to give it away because i soon found out how hard they are to keep. You are probly wondering why i am telling you this And it is because they both need to have special care requirments which i didnt have and looks like you dont either.

I tried a mandarin once but had to give it away because i soon found out how hard they are to keep. You are probly wondering why i am telling you this And it is because they both need to have special care requirments which i didnt have and looks like you dont either.

I also had bad luck with a mandarin... It was supposedly tank bred and eating frozen. She was a fat little piggy when I got her lol so no reason to think otherwise... Apparently, she wouldn't eat frozen after the transfer... 8-/

The twin spot is also a bit more delicate than a mandarin, as far as physically. The mandarins are quite hardy if you get them eating. Mine takes no guff from any fish in the tank! lol But the twin spot is a bit of a pansy. lol

I had my fuge running for like 6 months and it only had about a months of food in it so the bigger and larger the fuge the better.

The twin spot is also a bit more delicate than a mandarin, as far as physically. The mandarins are quite hardy if you get them eating. Mine takes no guff from any fish in the tank! lol But the twin spot is a bit of a pansy. lol

I had my fuge running for like 6 months and it only had about a months of food in it so the bigger and larger the fuge the better.

Now if I set a fuge up, will the pods automatically drop into the tank from the filter outlet, or will I need to kinda shake the media off in the tank? Always wondered that...

Ypu can shale them off or let them migrate. Either will work. But what these twinspots eat is IN the sand, micro oragnisms and the small things that live in the sand, not necessarily the pods.

Ypu can shale them off or let them migrate. Either will work. But what these twinspots eat is IN the sand, micro oragnisms and the small things that live in the sand, not necessarily the pods.

Phytoplankton?

Back
Top Bottom