20 gallon cost

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freshnoob1

Aquarium Advice Freak
How much money would a 20 gallon long tank cost after being setup and cycled and everything? I'm not worried on specifics just wanting a general idea. What did you pay for your 20 gallon setup?

tank-32
filter-30
heater-20
substrate-5
plants and dw-50 (not needed)
fish food-5-20 depending on fish
fish-around 50
so maybe 200.00

He's talking about a saltwater tank. It will cost significantly more than $200, though with that size you can probably do without a sump or protein skimmer and just do frequent water changes. You may want to factor in the cost of:

Tank and stand
Live sand/live rock
Salt
RO/DI unit (a little bit, imo, for purchasing RO/DI water from a fish store)
Filtration system
Heater
Saltwater test kit

He's talking about a saltwater tank. It will cost significantly more than $200, though with that size you can probably do without a sump or protein skimmer and just do frequent water changes. You may want to factor in the cost of:

Tank and stand
Live sand/live rock
Salt
RO/DI unit (a little bit, imo, for purchasing RO/DI water from a fish store)
Filtration system
Heater
Saltwater test kit

Add a refractometer. For a filter system going with an aquaclear mod is probably the easiest to do. Light if you want to keep cost down 2Ft/4Bulbs fixture

Hello there,
I myself own a 20 Gallon Saltwater. I would say that in all including the live rock, it costed me about $210. Saltwater isn't cheap, and you shouldn't try to either.
Hope this helps!
-Garrett

You can probably get a used 20 gallon for around 150 bucks. You'd then be looking at another 100 dollars on sand and live rock. Then there's the saltwater and the RO/DI filter you'll need unless you buy it by the gallon. I'd say around 400 bucks minimum. For initial setup with maybe a small amount of rock and bioballs it could be between 250 and 350.

I've probably put 500 into my 24g cube.

Sarcothelia said:
You can probably get a used 20 gallon for around 150 bucks. You'd then be looking at another 100 dollars on sand and live rock. Then there's the saltwater and the RO/DI filter you'll need unless you buy it by the gallon. I'd say around 400 bucks minimum. For initial setup with maybe a small amount of rock and bioballs it could be between 250 and 350.

I've probably put 500 into my 24g cube.

A 20g for $150? You're talking a ready to go system, sans fish right?

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is an RO/DI filter?
Gwolfe- that actually sounds pretty cheap IMO.
Sarc- not to be rude, but you'd have to be dumb to pay 150 for a 20 gallon...unless you are talking about what Mr. Limpet posted

If you buy everything brand new your looking at abou $300+... or if you get a used tank and a good deal on live rock you can get basic stuff for $200. I just set up my 20 gallon

Back
Top Bottom