20 Gallon FOWLR startup checklist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm about to kick off a build of a 20 gallon FOWLR tank, my first SW tank. I just want to make sure I have everything I need to get started:

1. Tank (duh)
  2. Filter - I have a 150gph and 200gph HOB. Either should be enough, right?
  3. Heater, thermometer for tank.
  4. RO/DI
  5. Salt mix
  6. Heater, thermometer, & powerhead for RO/DI water collection.
  7. Test kits

Questions I have:
  1. Do I need a circulation pump in the tank, or will the flow from the filters be enough?
  2. Will I need a protein skimmer for a setup this small?
  3. Refractometer or hydrometer?
  4. Since this will be a FOWLR tank, what kind of lighting is best? Will standard fluorescent or LED work? There is a chance I will add an anemone to the tank for the clowns, if that matters.

1. you will need pumps to circulate
2. you won't need a skimmer although they always help rather than hinder if you get one
3.I have refractometer as heard theyre more accurate
4. with the fish any old lighting will do however aneomones are different kettle of fish all together an you will need very very powerful lights

1. you will need pumps to circulate
2. you won't need a skimmer although they always help rather than hinder if you get one
3.I have refractometer as heard theyre more accurate
4. with the fish any old lighting will do however aneomones are different kettle of fish all together an you will need very very powerful lights

Would a single pump (Hydor Koralia Nano - Bulk Reef Supply ...the 425 model) be enough, or should I put two in, mounted in opposing directions? 20 gallons isn't that big, and I don't want the clowns to feel like salmon swimming upstream :)

Tbh I've got a 34 and only got 1 as long as the tank is turning over about 10 times an hour and everywhere has low 1 is fine

Back
Top Bottom