200 gallon stock advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deadna

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been charged with the duty of putting together a 200-265 gallon aquarium for an on-base chapel. It's a long-term project, and I'm not even sure if it'll end up happening. I have already figured the filtration and technical side to it, but am having difficulty doing a stock list. Should it be a reef tank, FOWLR, fish only, bare bottom, DSB, SSB? The ideas are far spread and many. I wanted to know if there is anyone with some form of idea as to what a 200-265 gallon aquarium could/should be stocked with? Any input is helpful. Thanks.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I would look at fish only with live rock a reef that size would require a lot of maintenance. tangs are great for fish only as are puffers and foxfaces and they all tend to be non aggresive. if going with all large fish you could look at lionfish eels triggers. but all depends on what takes your fancy live aqauria is a great place to look at. I also dont like bare bottom tanks so would go with sand but wouldn't do deep sand bed apart from maybe in a sump. so many options to go with so any more detail on what you want the tank to be would be great for example low maintenance? people there to check on it daily? budget?

Hard to beat eels, panther groupers triggers and large puffers

I would not mess with a DSB

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I just reread your post...maybe a predator tank is not the best for.a chapel :)

Woody390: I will be there to maintain it for the three years that I'm here for, and in that time I'll train someone on my stead. I would prefer fish that aren't going to be a huge pain to feed (read: mandarin dragonet) but a fish with a little challenge isn't too much. And lastly, the budget hasn't yet been confirmed, but my request for the whole tank is going to be a minimum of $5,000.

Swicicki: As long as bodies of fish aren't strewn across the ten commandments, we're good.

Definitely needs an Angelfish?

Tangs, anthias, foxface and angels....great fish all decently easy to keep and feed. I have a 180g and keep tangs as my favorite fish. :) But dont forget that the smaller fish can school, such as anthias's and chromis. I currently have about 15 chromis in my tank and they really look awesome schooling through the tank. I got the basic cheap chromis, but for even more flash you could try blue reef chromis or yellow chromis, a little more $$ but they are very interesting fish. :)
Keep in mind the stock list will rely on your filtration and maintenance schedule as well, a huge tank ;like that with lots of big fish will require significant amounts of effort and time on your part. I also would say go with fish only, a reef would be a majorly expensive way to go and would require even more work and time.

Back
Top Bottom