Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Doesn't mean it works long term though. It would depend on the dimensions of the tank though would a 7 inch fish have room to swim and I would definitely say a good skimmer and live rock. It will be messy to feed it stuff that is not a chunk for it to swallow whole

Old 11-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody390 View Post
Doesn't mean it works long term though. It would depend on the dimensions of the tank though would a 7 inch fish have room to swim and I would definitely say a good skimmer and live rock. It will be messy to feed it stuff that is not a chunk for it to swallow whole
Would it eat freeze dried krill? I will have about 10-15lbs of live rock and 10lbs of dry. Demensions are a common 20 long, 30" long, 12" wide, 12" tall. Can i put 2 HOBs on each side instead of a skimmer? Do i need alot of flow in this tank? Will a koralia 420 work?

Old 11-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

With those dimensions as long as you can lay out the rock in a way that there is plenty of swimming room and still some hiding places I'd say it would be ok. It will not want high flow in the tank and canisters will be a lot more maintenance and are less effective IMO. Obv with your tank nitrates will not be as much of an issue as in a reef but still will build up algae etc so I would buy skimmer personally
Old 11-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #14

Quote:
With those dimensions as long as you can lay out the rock in a way that there is plenty of swimming room and still some hiding places I'd say it would be ok. It will not want high flow in the tank and canisters will be a lot more maintenance and are less effective IMO. Obv with your tank nitrates will not be as much of an issue as in a reef but still will build up algae etc so I would buy skimmer personally
Kinda in a money tight situation as i am in the prosses of seting up my 60g cube reef ATM and didnt want this tank to be to much money. I cant afford a skimmer ATM but maybe when i have a little more $$$. Never got the answer, will it eat crustaceans? I wanted some hermit crabs, snails, and some porcelain crabs if possible.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes it will eat crustaceans maybe not snails but defo shrimps and crabs. And why not invest your money in your 60 until its set up and save until you can set the new tank up properly?
Old 11-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think snails and hermits might be ok because of the shell. The crab on the other hand might be a very costly meal.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also, sorta related, look at this Volitan my LFS had!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2024738273.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	209719  
Old 11-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Yes it will eat crustaceans maybe not snails but defo shrimps and crabs. And why not invest your money in your 60 until its set up and save until you can set the new tank up properly?
The 60s gonna take some time so i thought this would give me something to do lol. So no crabs then. By crabs do you mean hermits aswell? How much water should i change weekly?
Old 11-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #19

Picking up the Tank now . Any specific diseases to watch out for on these guys?
Old 11-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #20

Gonna use an aquaclear 30 for filtration after reading reviews. Also gonna stuff it with chaeto to help cut down on the nutrients from the heavy bioload.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com