Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 11-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
MJSerik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 389
If you have a 20g and a 10g try and trade for a 30 on craigslist. Or sell em and buy a 30
Also don't assume that they'll only get 4-5 inches, always plan for them to grow to full size or bigger
__________________

__________________
MJSerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #32
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJSerik View Post
If you have a 20g and a 10g try and trade for a 30 on craigslist. Or sell em and buy a 30
Also don't assume that they'll only get 4-5 inches, always plan for them to grow to full size or bigger
The maximum size is said to be only 6.7 inches. I dont understand how many people who have them in larger tanks also have them in smaller tanks. Could any of you send me a pic of a fully grown one? That would help me visualize it.
__________________

__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
baron1282's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 926
Fishman007

I wouldn't be putting a Fuzzy in a 20 gallon tank. I had a 30 gallon tank and wanted to do one. Liveaquaria says they need a 50 gallon max, but I think a 30 gallon should be ok if it's really the only fish in the tank. You can have maybe 2 more fish in a 30 with the lion being the last fish you put in. Make sure any fish you add is as big as the Lion fish when you first get it. Anything that fits into the lions fish mouth is food, but for some reason the lion fish might not eat fish already in the aquarium when first introduced. Anything you add after is food, that's why the lion fish is the LAST fish you put in.

Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish

You got to remember the Dwarf Lion Fish they have at the store are juvenile. They are small when they are being sold. They also require a lot of work when you first buy them. Most of them will not eat frozen food at first, they must be taught how to eat it. They require live foods and freshwater feeder fish will not cut it as they are very bad for the health of the Fuzzy.

You need to get Silver Sides (Frozen) and a feeder stick. Try to entice them to eat the dead thawed out silver sides. Besides that your going to need to buy some cheap saltwater feeder fish and shrimp (live) until you can teach him to eat thawed out silver sides and other frozen foods.

Keeping the Fuzzy dwarf lionfish | Features | Practical Fishkeeping

They reason you can keep the Fuzzy in a smaller tank than it's larger brethren is because they are not active swimmers, but that does not mean you can throw them into tank that is too small. They still need space to swim. I can't find a picture for you, but a fully grown Lion Fish is like a swimming basketball in your tank, they are that big. A Dwarf Fuzzy will be like having a softball swimming in your tank (A little bigger, but still).
__________________
Fish Sticks, the best thing you can do with your dead fish.
baron1282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #34
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron1282 View Post
Fishman007

I wouldn't be putting a Fuzzy in a 20 gallon tank. I had a 30 gallon tank and wanted to do one. Liveaquaria says they need a 50 gallon max, but I think a 30 gallon should be ok if it's really the only fish in the tank. You can have maybe 2 more fish in a 30 with the lion being the last fish you put in. Make sure any fish you add is as big as the Lion fish when you first get it. Anything that fits into the lions fish mouth is food, but for some reason the lion fish might not eat fish already in the aquarium when first introduced. Anything you add after is food, that's why the lion fish is the LAST fish you put in.

Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish

You got to remember the Dwarf Lion Fish they have at the store are juvenile. They are small when they are being sold. They also require a lot of work when you first buy them. Most of them will not eat frozen food at first, they must be taught how to eat it. They require live foods and freshwater feeder fish will not cut it as they are very bad for the health of the Fuzzy.

You need to get Silver Sides (Frozen) and a feeder stick. Try to entice them to eat the dead thawed out silver sides. Besides that your going to need to buy some cheap saltwater feeder fish and shrimp (live) until you can teach him to eat thawed out silver sides and other frozen foods.

Keeping the Fuzzy dwarf lionfish | Features | Practical Fishkeeping

They reason you can keep the Fuzzy in a smaller tank than it's larger brethren is because they are not active swimmers, but that does not mean you can throw them into tank that is too small. They still need space to swim. I can't find a picture for you, but a fully grown Lion Fish is like a swimming basketball in your tank, they are that big. A Dwarf Fuzzy will be like having a softball swimming in your tank (A little bigger, but still).
Alright, would a 29 work? I can try and upgrade to that in 5 months. Would he be fine in the 20 long for that time? I understand i will need to feed him live and frozen foods unil i can get him to eat frozen. How long would it take to train him?
__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
MJSerik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 389
When you say 29, you don't mean a Biocube, right? Don't think that would work
__________________
MJSerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #36
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJSerik View Post
When you say 29, you don't mean a Biocube, right? Don't think that would work
No just a 29g
__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #37
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJSerik View Post
When you say 29, you don't mean a Biocube, right? Don't think that would work
How would i not be able to get one in a 29 and not a 30?
__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Scottyhorse's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 3,823
A standard 29 gallon doesn't have that large of a footprint. IMO, just put him in the proper tank from the start.
__________________
Starting over...... Kinda.

3, 20, 25, 33 Gallon FW Tanks.....For Now


Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #39
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyhorse View Post
A standard 29 gallon doesn't have that large of a footprint. IMO, just put him in the proper tank from the start.
What are the deminsions on a 29? So a 30? Would he be fine until april?
__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Scottyhorse's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 3,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman007 View Post
What are the deminsions on a 29? So a 30? Would he be fine until april?
A 29g is 30 x 12 x 18. Same footprint of a 20L, just taller. A 30 Long is 36 x 12 x 17, and a 30 breeder is 36 x 18 x 12. Out of those, the 30 breeder would be best. If you can, a 40 breeder would be great. He would probably be ok till april, but like I said, start with the larger one instead of upgrading. It will be cheaper.
__________________

__________________
Starting over...... Kinda.

3, 20, 25, 33 Gallon FW Tanks.....For Now


Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.